RT1 360 clutch push rod help!!!

wormsworld76
This post is 4717 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay guys, I have a 71 RT1 360 that I just got running after a 7 year slumber and a new top end but i cannot get the clutch to work properly. When I pull the lever the cable pulls up which turns the push rod actuator in and out. Now when I put it in gear and I pull the clutch lever, the clutch doesnt disengage so the bike can roll freely. I am not 100% sure on how to check this to make sure its working properly. If I take the clutch cover off and pull the clutch lever what should I see happening? What do I need to look for? Since the push rod is not moving am I damaging the push rod actuator when I pull the clutch lever? HELP!!!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is the pushrod worn in any way ie mushroomed over at one end ? if so this means the hardening has gone of that end. you can make another pushrod from silver steel and use caseknit on the ends to harden them again. As mentioned before is there a ball bearing missing ? It sounds like the pushrod is too short. An old way to help out the smooth operation is to cut the pushrod in half and put another ball bearing in the middle on assembly. This will give you a smoother operation and more adjustment. Keep us posted.

Plates will be stuck together, after standing for a while...rock it in gear , work the lever, , if this dosn"t work strip clutch,,, :eusa_shifty:

Hi

I think you will find the plates are stuck together or may be really worn, i have a TL125 and they stick all the time after about 3 months of non use.

If you can get it going and if you can get the bike rolling with a small amount of throttle, click it into 1st or 2nd gear and just try riding it for a while holding in the clutch lever, it may free after a few minutes or you may have to put it under some load by applying the rear brake and excellerating at the same time.

Worst case is that you will have to strip the clutch down and just free the plates apart.

TTB

• 3 weeks later...