'76 XS500 Timing

zita79
This post is 4520 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I picked up a 76 XS 500 a while ago and I finally have it to the point where I'm trying to get it running. The previous owner took everything apart to "clean it" and I don't think he really new what he was doing! To get to the point, it appears that everything was removed under the points cover and put back on carelessly. I can't get it to fire up but it almost seems that it's 180 off, if that makes sense. The info I can find is very limited and I can’t find a shop manual for it. My question is where do I set the main plate to? After the plate is set, where do I adjust the right point plate to - there are a few "dots" and some marks on the right point plate, and the left point is mounted to the main plate. After the plates are set, do I gap the points with the timing mark at the "F" position for the corresponding cylinder? I can upload some pics if needed. Thanks for the help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it's been a long time since i had one of these tempermental swines,

i can't remember for the life of me how i used to set them , but once you suss it, wright it down and take photos, because you will be doing it regular.

put the plate where the adjustment notches are.

adjust the points gap first

then set the crank to LF mark (take out the plugs, its easier) the left points should be just about to open when the LF comes on the mark. same for RF

make sure there's no sparking across the points when its cranked over as that means the condensor is shot.

finally strobe the whole thing when the engine is running.

If you can't do all this you need to get a manual and read up or get someone else to do it as its pretty straight forward engineering.

put the plate where the adjustment notches are.

adjust the points gap first

then set the crank to LF mark (take out the plugs, its easier) the left points should be just about to open when the LF comes on the mark. same for RF

make sure there's no sparking across the points when its cranked over as that means the condensor is shot.

finally strobe the whole thing when the engine is running.

If you can't do all this you need to get a manual and read up or get someone else to do it as its pretty straight forward engineering.

Nope !!

XS500's are a bit different

Put a Bransden on it and forget all the grief that comes with points. For a fit and forget bit of kit the Bransden takes some beating and for the money well worth it.

good idea, mine was a real pain in the arse from what i remember. every other month it needed reseting,

but when there running they are nice bikes.

Thanks everyone for the feed back. This is my first Yam and its a lot different than the Honda's and Kaw's I've had in the past! My goal is to make a Cafe Racer out of this one (another first!) but I wanted to get it running and see how the bike feels before I set down that path.

Thanks everyone for the feed back. This is my first Yam and its a lot different than the Honda's and Kaw's I've had in the past! My goal is to make a Cafe Racer out of this one (another first!) but I wanted to get it running and see how the bike feels before I set down that path.

keep us updated , and post a few pictures, before durin and after.

i tried to find some photo's of my old xs500 , but they must be in the loft.

sounds like a good plan

• 1 month later...

Hi

This is my first post here.

Regarding the Brandsen, where can i find one type that fits the XS500?

http://www.motorcycle-ignition.com/motorcycle_ei_kit.htm

• 2 weeks later...

And they probably will be out of stock -forever. Welcome to the world of XS500 parts. The X is for eXtra hard to find. Seriously, many stores show XS500 parts as "out of stock" when they have no intention of restocking or they've never stocked them in the first place!

Let me know if you have resolved the points issue. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that when the points baseplate is reinstalled, the "T" mark on it should align with the pointer just above the base plate , the pointer being held down with a (usually ) painted screw. Unfortunately the DPO (dreaded previous owner.) may have removed the screw and disturbed the pointer alignment. All subsequent points adjustment will be off. So now what? You have to realign the pointer, preferably with a dial gauge set up in the spark plug hole which will allow you to find TDC.

however, I've done this this a wooden dowel,(watch it go up and down through the spark plug hole as you turn the crankshaft.) it will get you in the ballpark. Let me know if I can be of further help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online