using this tool to setup mixture

dan28
This post is 4743 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

my xvs doesnt run right it has to have choke open even when warm

if a use this tool

an get the mixture correct by turning the air screw will the idle speed screw effect the colour of the above spark plug an give a wrong reading ( there is no rev gauge )

or should i turn the idle down so it s just above stalling before i use the tool

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Firstly make sure the colortune part that replaces your sparkplug is clean, use the brush provided and a bit of brake cleaner. Put a light smear of high melting point grease on the threads. Make sure your engine is warmed up and off choke. Fit the colortune and start up your bike. Check the colour at tick over it should be bunsen burner blue. Check with the mixture screw what hapens when you turn it both ways to get an accurate reading. Where the flame is yellow and just turning blue you are at the richest setting.When you have got the slow running sorted slowly open the throttle and watch the flame it should now go slightly lighter blue - leaner - this is fine. As you get to full throttle opening it will go back to being richer - darker blue to yellow - this is fine.

If you get you mixture sorted at slow running the rest should be ok. A colortune is a usefull bit of kit but is not a difinitive. There are all sorts of parameters to consider but if your engine is standard it will help you balance your carb without resorting to messing around with jets, needles and cutaways. If you need any help feel free to p/m me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online