Identifying this MIKUNI carb

NEV
This post is 4653 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After looking to replace a mixture screw, and a couple of 'o' rings on my carb, I came across a small problem, the original carb for my 1992 DT125R as stated in the manual is a round top VM 26 SS 3MB00, mine being a flat slide has obviously been changed afterwards, the identifying marks on mine, the best I can make out is TI32 3MB00 or could be TL32 3MB00,I've searched the internet for a TL/TI32 flat slide carb but nothing comes up, even getting in touch with Allens Performance in Notts, even they don't have a clue unless I send them the carb, and can check for compatability with other carbs.

The main differences between my carb and the TM32 carb is the choke lever on the TM32 is a plunger, whereas on mine it's a lever, and looking at the side profile of the TM32, the intake and outlet spigots run horizontal, whereas mine there is about a 20 degree slope, with the intake sloping down to the outlet, is anybody familiar with my type of flat slide? or maybe knowing what bikes these type of carbs were originally fitted to, so as to find the specs for that carb.The carb itself runs fine, it's just that I'm having problems fine tuning the idling, and need to replace the mixture screw as it looks like somebody has tried to use a blunt cold chisel to adjust it and buggered the flat head, and need to purchase the two rubber 'o' rings on the adjusting screws as I think it's drawing air in, due to a missing 'o' ring on the throttle screw. I'll put some pics up of my carb so you can see what it looks like,

Rear view of my carb

rearpj.jpg

Rear view of TM32 carb

tm32rear.jpg

Side view of my carb

sidejd.jpg

Side view of TM32 carb

tm32side.jpg

Any help much apreciated, cheers Nev

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers OG, but did you mean mine, the TI/TL32 with the sloping intake to outlet? or the horizontal intake to outlet TM32? I only ask, because I was lead to believe they put the TM28 on the later models, with lads upgrading their carbs from the TM28 to the TM32, and at the end of the day I just need to find out if my mixture screw, and the sealing 'o' rings would be compatable wth the TM32, or TM28 series, do you reckon they will, as the chap at Allens reckons threads can vary, but looking at both they seem pretty much the same. Plus do you have any info anywhere on the TI/TL32 Mikuni, as I've looked everywhere and bugger all comes up for them.

where does this info TI/TL32 come from? mr Haynes has it as TM28SS code 3RM02 for 1999 to 2003

The TI/TL32 is actually in raised letters on the carb, it's definately not TM32, but like I say, I can't make out whether it's an L or a I after the T, and the only other reference to an I.D on the carb is the 3MB00, and looking at all the other TM32's I've found pics of, they show inlet and outlet as totally inline horizontally, the only thing I can think of for the TI/TL being any difference is the sloping incline of the inlet and the outlet,and mine having a lever for the choke, instead of a plunger.

A bit of a result by the way, regarding the air mixture screw, found an old Mikuni carb, totally different to the DT types mind, in a box of bits I had in the garage, and have managed to use the adjusting screws from that, works a treat, more or less sorted the idling out now.Took it up and down the road ran lovely.

Tell ya what Blackie, go to my project and at the end I put in a vid of it starting up,have a listen to it, no spluttering or owt, crisp and responsive, and as I found today rides well too, just having a problem getting it to idle at 1500, wants to idle at nearer 2000, oh aye, and thats with the main jet cranked up to a 240 from a 210 too.