My 1982 YAMAHA XT125J PROJECT

NEV
This post is 4582 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, here's my next project, an old school XT125J that me and my lad will be doing as a joint effort, well he wants to use it on the road, he can bloody well get his finger out and give me a hand, is what I say. I bought it as an old field bike, a couple of years ago off Ebay, as I felt sorry for it, sat there, rusting away, and seeing the potential of getting it to it's former glory, thought it would make a decent renovation project, I've since found out that it was the 7th xt125 to come off the production line in 1982, so I'm going to try and keep it as standard as possible, I reckon I owe it that much. After doing a fair bit of research on the bike, I've found that it came in two colours, White, and Aroma Green, and seeing as I've no idea what shade of green, Aroma Green is, I'm going to go with the safe option of White, I reckon it'll look decent in it's original White livery anyroad.

As with most projects it's important to have before and after photos, well here's some before photos.

img0259ay.jpg

img0260aex.jpg

img0261ai.jpg

img0262aum.jpg

First thing to do will be to strip it all down, so I can work out what I need to replace, or what I can salvage by cleaning up, but I'll deffinately be shotblasting and powdercoating the frame and swingarm, the frame gloss Black, and the swingarm Aluminium Silver

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Damn, another thread I'm going to be addicted to! :hyper:

Top man! cheers OG, I had found an 82 XT125 in White, to use as a benchmark, but wasn't too sure on the tank decals, but the Red one in your pics looks more like it.

The bike is all stripped down, and all fitting nicely in the greenhouse/spray booth. Me and my lad took about 3 hours to take it all to pieces,and well pleased too, because there was only one seized bolt, which I duly chopped off, not bad really seeing as it's been outside in all weathers for the last couple of years. I've taken a few pics as I know how much you like them Weimi,plus it'll be usefull reference, for when things need to go back together again.

img0263rm.jpg

img0265eo.jpg

img0269t.jpg

img0270q.jpg

img0271wi.jpg

img0273ho.jpg

img0277rj.jpg

img0278si.jpg

img0282e.jpg

img0283nu.jpg

A bit of welding needs doing on the frame in a couple of places, here.

img0284i.jpg

and here

img0290cu.jpg

All nicely put away

img0291iv.jpg

img0292pq.jpg

Next job will be getting bits cleaned down in a parafin bath, and finding out what wires I need to make up the loom, totally confident in doing that too, after sorting out the one on the DT.

looking forward to following this one,she needs a lot of care,right in at the deep end with this :eusa_think: looks like you've got as much of a wiring loom as my dt has.... :shakeno:

• 3 weeks later...