R1 ignition 2001 5jj8 model

Ickleboywonder
This post is 7171 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi need help want to put some more trick bits on my 2001 R1 its the 5JJ8 model(the last of the carbs) I have high flow trumpets and a ram air box from qb carbon. I was wondering???

1. what does the rare KIT (by yam complete cdi unit) ignition actually do.

One on e bay a while back.

2. What does the ignition kit advancer by factory (not yam) actually do.

http://www.worldofqbcarbon.com/products/ya.../r1products.htm

3.Is this a mod to make standard ignition factory standard???

http://www.rhencullen.net/acatalog/Online_...rmance_449.html

Anyone who has done this and has dyno runs to back it up i would greatly appreciate your replies.

Oh yeah my R1 with ram air and trumpets with exup still there blowing out through as YOSHI RS3 tri oval is 150.7 at the Rwheel

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Unless your bikes pretty well tuned wouldnt bother as it just allows you to advance the ignition timing

• Admin

Sorry mate but i obvioulsy dont understand what your getting at. Ignition systems i think you are on about. Allow you to change the advance or retard ie if your running low or high compresion such as a turbo, or running nitrous, where the ignitiion is timed differnetly. Or changing gear for example. They can also allow multiple sparks. They can also protect the engine against detonation, set rpm limits. They also allow set fixed ignition curves, so in theory you can run the bike differntly for track day than on the road at a touch of a button. Some also tell you top dead centre. My uncle who used to ride gp would be able to explain better, so will try to get hold of him as he has bored me to death about ignitions before. But like i said before unless you are a serous racer on a serious bike you wouldnt notice the difference. There are more things you can spend your money on to get bigger bhp improvements than changing your ignition.