Snapped Off Exhaust Stud Removal.

cheeseypeas
This post is 7044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Cracked off exhaust studs? Here's my opinion on the best way to get them out.

What you need.

1. A nice sunny day with no hangover :P and lots of patients B) . (Do not attemt under any circumstances after arguments with wife or in bad mood!!)

2. Can of WD40

3. Hammer.

4. A drill chuck / MoleGrips. ( take apart an old drill or buy a new chuck from a electric drill spares shop. I think the drill chuck is better as it grips from 3 sides.

5. Bastard file (flat).

6. Pencil Torch. ( If you know somebody who is a plumber then get them to lend you one. It's like a small gas flame on the end of a pencil with a lead that runs back to the can. )

Method

1. Soak in WD40 for a few days every day.

2. Pick a day your feeling lucky.

3. Hit stud on the end with the hammer a few times to try and shock the stud to help it move. ( Careful not too hard and hit it straight ! )

4. Dry the wd40 off the stud and attach the drill chuck. Do up nice and tight.

Sometimes you can use molegrips but on my bike you couldn't get them in there.

5. Use the pencil torch to heat up the head not the bolt.

6. Turn the molegrips or drill chuck to remove the stud.

7. If chuck / moles slip on stud use file to flatten sides of stud to get more grip.

Hope this helps.

The studs on my Thundercat were M6 ! A bit on the small side i think Mr Yamaha.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Yeah hard work with a file is usually the best, however if none of that works. Get the mig out and weld something to the stud B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online