twin shock engine covers, fitting on an mx??

busyeddie
This post is 4741 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Fed up of petrol ruining the paint on my flywheel cover, and also like the look of the polished metal. Will they fit?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As far as i know yes, they should fit but the box got an extra cog (from 5 to 6 speed) between the twinshock and the mx so ?

Hmmm, think that would affect it? Anyone got one of each fancy trying?

apart from the confusion of your problem regarding the flywheel cover...It's black plastic unpainted or should be, also it is one piece on the DTMX but two piece on the earlier twinshock bike

if the only reason to to try this is petrol and paint why dont you

a: stop dousing the case in petrol

b: use a paint unaffected by this practice

c: strip the paint off your correct case (not with nitromors...it's plasic)...polish to personal taste

Hmmm, think that would affect it?

Yes, you would have a hidden gear not shown on the shift pattern on the mag cover

Anyone got one of each....

Curiousely... yes....

fancy trying?

Not REALLY, ... but... got not a lot better to do while waiting for big box of parts from Yambits.... and I DO want to have a look at the genny on the 125 'E' motor, see whether there's any clues in there as to why my 175MX has points.... so MY just try it....

HOWEVER.......

Fed up of petrol ruining the paint on my flywheel cover,

ONE why is your black-plastic mag-cover painted?

TWO what with?

THREE why is petroil getting on to it in the first place?

Whatever cover you have; petrol leak; weaping carb; missing or misrouted overflow or breather pipe; needs sorting!

Whether you strip plastic cover back; they can come up quite nice, scrubbed with scouring pad (green side of washing up sponge!) T-Cut to rid of worst 'matting' then Back to Blacked....OR repaint.... as stripping, but after T-Cut dont apply B2B, use propper plastic primer to get paint adherance and then decent automotiove paint to colour of choice; or replace with earlier alli casing, which is laquered, and will still stain and look horrible if you don't sort source of fuel leak! (Which would also improve fuel consumption, and possibly engine performance!) {As OldGit; who offered similar advice as I was typing!)

Mike your DT175 will have points for one of 2 reasons.

It was a 125 and someone stuck the larger top end on, a favorite pastime of the oiks in the initial 125 laws (myself included ahem).

Or the CDI died and some enterprising soul has made the retrograde step of points ig.

Whats the engine prefix...my money is on 2A8-########## if your in the UK?

Petrol leak from when I fell off on a green lane, found the overflow pipe was awol. Along with tax disc holder!! Previous owner must have painted it. With rubbish paint. Petrol seems to have attacked plastic too. Grey and black marbled effect. Painting only option. Cheers for the plastic prep advice Mike, really seems to have worked on your chainguard mate. cheers Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the covers of my AT2 twinshock motor DO NOT FIT the MX engine

imag2305.jpg

Mag cover, bolt pattern is out by about 45 Degrees and even then they dont all line up.

imag2304.jpg

Sproket cover only goes on with one bolt, other hands in free space.... there is a tapped hole vaguely in the vacinity, but its not in line with the cover hole.

Cheers for looking Mike. I wont be buying that if one comes cheap. Have you sourced a supplier for your '78 decals??

Cheers for looking Mike. I wont be buying that if one comes cheap.

I got the bike fired up yesterday afternoon, after much swearing; but couldn't get anything out of the lighting coils, or at least I don't think so... didn't get chance to go through all perms before bike died and my leg was to knackered to try starting it again!

& after much muggering with points though I'd JUST have a look inside the 125E engine, and LO! CDI back-plate... so got some messing to do!

Have you sourced a supplier for your '78 decals??

Right, Decals: There are many on e-bay;' just about every design variation of either US or Euro design, and colour. But the 'box' design for a '78 model is particularly 'rare'. Found ONE, but for white or blue bike, with red in-fill in the seat end segment.

But is a bit pricey at £50. And I'm 'fussy' I want something that looks 'right' for the yellow bike I have.

imag2301.jpg

If you look at the red & black Super-Dreams I did this year on the spot-the-difference thread; Decals on those bikes are non-standard. There are virtually no decal kits for Super-Dream 125's so I ended up getting a chap to make some! Had choice of what to go for, so instead of the 'correct' livery for an early bike as both those are, did a variation o the chevron used on middle era models, that weren't badged Super-Dream and adapted it a bit to suit!

Process starts with taking a rubbing on tracing paper to get a template of the original stickers.......

THIS is somewhat tricky on the DT where I had none to start with.

HENCE picture with bits of paper cut out and celotaped to the bodywork, before final prep and painting!

Basically, photographed the bike; nicked whatever pics I could off the web, did a rough outline rubbing of the tank, actually scanned one of the side panels, then used them to make an outline template in a photo-editor..... which I then pasted and sized photos of variouse decals over to get a rough, then tidied up to look how I wanted... then I printed it on bits of paper.... stuck them together with celotape..... cut them out and stuck them on the bike! Flatted them to the tank and panels, and then went back and 'tweeked' my patern to get them to 'work'!

Ie got 'crafty'

Not yet got back to the chap that made my Super-Dream Decals, but hoping that once I have a set of templates and some art work for him; he'll use that to lazer some vynal I can apply to the finished paint and then laquer in, for not TOO much money... but I wont know until I get round to asking him.... if not few other folk make to order.... just a matter of how much they'll charge, and what they want by way of art-work and patterns.

Well if it makes it cheaper to do a job lot, ill have a set. However, im sure clive must have bought his from somewhere? If I find them off the shelf ill let you know.

Sorry just read first half of your post (its hard on a phone). Im probably going for the red infill as im either going white or blue. However yellow is looking good!! Do you have a link to red decals? Ive searched ebay to no avail!

Also Mike, hats off for your craftyness. Ive not got the patience. I like preformed things like nuts and bolts and circlips! Thats why I prefer old bikes to cars now, less bodywork!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online