Identification

Geoclinton
This post is 4617 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I have just bought a !980 DT 125 but only have the chassis and engine number. Can I identify the model and year from these and how can I find the original reg?

Cheers

Geo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Geo, the vin code I get for yours isn't a 125 but a 175 mx 1981 (4J4)

modelcodereferencepage5.gif

Hope this helps, Nev

Cheers Nev

I thought that when I bought it ( Ebay £250 ) took a while to find and identify the numbers. I phoned Yamaha cust services they told me the good news or bad as I didnt do my test when I should have so I am restricted to a 125. The bike is in good nick so I will put it on the road and sell or swap . I take it these are popular?

Cheers again

Geo

I know of lads in here that have put a 175 barrel on a 125 bottom, don't know if you can do the reverse mind, maybe one of the lads to have done it may come along later, I also know that theres a couple of lads in here would take the 175 barrel off your hands too, if you can.

Steady on chaps

I am a virgin bike mechanic So I aven't a scooby doo where to start really. I have just taken of the carb to find white gunk in the vacuum pipe to the crank case. After a few phone calls I am in the process of removing the crankcase with a couple of stuckfast screw head bolts so I can clean out the interior of damp & moisture. I think this will solve the problem then I am on getting it road worthy for its mot I need spares i;e rear light & bracket license holder and the box thing for the lights and horn etc as the one that's on hasn't got a horn button or indicator slide can anyone point me in the right direction? any advice on swapping the barrel is this a easy job and would it make a lot of difference to the performance?

Cheers

Geo