Yamaha Dragstar 125 No ignition?!

Dr Adrian
This post is 4497 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone!

I bought my Yamaha XVS Dragstar 125 yesterday. I tried to start it, it made the starting sound as I pressed the start button, but wouldn't start because there was no fuel.

Today when I put fuel in, I tried to start it again, but as I pressed the start button... well, nothing, no reaction, like someone cut the cable! Everything else works like the lights etc. I recharged the battery and tried again... still nothing, no reaction. Then I took the tank off, checked all the cables, cleaned the plugs and everything looks fine!

Another thing that I noticed is that the N light on the clock isn't working either, but it did yesterday, also checked all the cables, changed the bulb... and still, doesn't work!

Te bike was kept in my house overnight.

When taking off the tank I chipped the black plastic cover over the ignition (where you put your keys in) and that covers all the ugly looking cables, now I can't find another one anywhere ;(

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

your sidestand isnt down is it,start in nuetral clutch in and sidestand up and make sure your cut off switch is in the right position and as you mentioned petrol try it on prime position

Heck just make sure it's in netral first and try pulling in the clutch also

That's the point, it is on neutral as I can roll it around, besides I haven't touched them since yesterday and it was on neutral, also the N light was on.

but as I pressed the start button... well, nothing, no reaction,

It sounds like there is disconnection between the starter button and the soleniod. When you turn the ignition key on is there a "click"?

If not, then it is an electrical problem, if there is, it could be a starter motor/relay/solenoid problem.

Ok I managed to start it when I was holding the clutch down. But now the question, won't this bike let me start without holding the clutch at all? Or does it start without the clutch on neutral?

Because it is on neutral but the N light isn't on. So I figure there must be something wrong there. (The bulb is fine!!!!)

sounds like a dodget neutral switch, have you tried moving around the gears then going back to neutral?

Yes, I have tried. I don't have the manual for this bike, where is the neutral switch located so I could take a look at it?

Yes, I have tried. I don't have the manual for this bike, where is the neutral switch located so I could take a look at it?

Dunno...never had one of those bikes.

Try on top of the engine case near the drive sprocket...they usually have just one wire ...may be behind the chain case cover also but i'm just guessing. Have you got a wiring diagram it may help as you could see the wire colour on there?

Dunno...never had one of those bikes.

Try on top of the engine case near the drive sprocket...they usually have just one wire ...may be behind the chain case cover also but i'm just guessing. Have you got a wiring diagram it may help as you could see the wire colour on there?

I will look for it tomorrow and let you all know, thanks for the help man! And no, I don't have a diagram unfortunately, been looking on the net but couldn't find anything.

yes i checked and it's either on top of the engine where i said or in that vicinity. With a multimeter check it for continuity or if you dont have a multimeter...with ignition on and using a piece of electrical cable touch the connection and at the other end touch to chassis (engine case) this should bring the lamp on...if it does the switch may be faulty...if it doesnt the bulb / connections may be faulty. Light green connects to blue on the switch

Bike should start in neutral without the clutch being pulled in and with the sidestand down

Kill switch has to be in the correct position

If youve ran out of gas, you may need to switch the fuel cock to "prime"

not when the neutral light isnt on!

• 8 months later...

Can you confirm where the neutral switch is? I seem to have a similar problem since having the regulator replaced, where intermittently there is no neutral light showing on my speedo and despite being in neutral, when I put the stand down the engine cuts out. Also when I turn the key when starting the bike and there is no neutral light, the starter will not work & I have to push start it (and I'm getting a bit old for all the effort - why no kick-start on modern bikes as a fall-back?).

I just took it back to the mechanic who replaced the regulator but they were too busy to take the bike and yet having had to push start it to get there, naturally when I arrived the neutral light was back on and it was starting from the starter with no bother. So it seems to be an intermittent problem and since it has only occurred since the regulator was replaced (this bike shop initially sent my alternator away for the coil to be rewound, only to discover it was the regulator not the coil!) and having messed about with the electrics to such an extent, I am assuming that the fault is not unrelated, but after having been stung for £300 for my MOT (new chain & sprocket as well as the regulator), I am a little loathe to take it back, only to end up being told it's going to cost me more to get the matter resolved.

As a result, any assistance would be most gratefully received. I'd dearly love to be able to resolve the issue myself, but if I do end up going back there, I would at least like to be armed with as much info as possible, so they can't treat me like the complete schmuck that I must appear :-)

Many thanks in advance in the hope of some kind assistance

Bernard

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online