not sure what to do

Paulwhite
This post is 4696 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all im seriously thinking about getting rid of my L plates but need some advice on what would be best for me.

i dunno what to go for.... direct acces? normal test? a week packege? ........

iv been riding for 7 years on cbt's and im 24, got 6 years no claims and dont realy want to get a bike bigger than 600cc at the mo.

iv got no "bad habits" as they say, and i wouldnt mind doing it as cheep as possible......so im thinking 1 or 2 lesons to get used to the bike then go for it. but i dont want to be wasting my money. what would you recomend?

cheers..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I done my DAS course (direct access) its over the week end, Sat Sun, Mon training then test on the tuesday. Thats how i done mine but different instructors may do it differently.

The training isn't to teach you how to ride a bike as they done that on your CBT all they are doing is ironing out the bad points of your riding (we all have them) and practicing for your tests. I would say do the direct access way as i no, no other way but im sure there is some one on here that has gone a different path and could give you there view of it.

All the best

Keith

DAS, definitely.

There's nothing you'll do that you haven't already done in CBT... DAS just teaches you to do it better!!

If your going to take the test then i'd be going DAS.

A friend of mine is a driving instructor and its all structured now, lesson one is this, lesson 2 that etc. They may not let you do 'one or two lessons'.

The real question is which is the realisticly cheaper option, i think i ride pretty good, but that is riding on the road not getting my licence.

To get my HGV i had to have medicals, class 2 test ( or whatever its called now) then a class one test and each time i had to unlearn the practices that i did on the road to get my test. I was used to an eaton twin split box for example, ( ask your dad if your under 30) Also learning the set pieces of the test.

Not wanting to put your riding down but getting your test done will envolve set pieces and manouvers that you just don't do in the real world. Your neck will ache from the mirror checks (i'm not joking) too.

Try for Direct Acess Paul, and if possible, get some training with an approved school. The school will focus only on how to pass the test.

A 125cc test will be cheaper, but you will be restricted for 2 years to 33 bhp. Training for that is around the £110 to £130 mark, usually a day

DAS should be around the £550 to £650 mark, for 4 days training, pass and go directly to any size bike you choose.

Having that that, some of the 33bhp bikes today are pretty lively

Let us know what you decide

Good luck

I did my test on a 125... bought a 1300 and restricted it for 2 years. If you can afford DAS it could be an option you want to consider, especially if you want a 600cc unrestricted? Suzuki offer restriction kits for free on all new bikes and I think they're doing 0% finance.

As for lessons, I did 2x 6hr days and the test on the 3rd day. I think it was around £350 all in.

Good luck

well to be honest iv got the idea of doing my test then getting started on my next project lol thinking of building a chopper/bobber with a 600cc gsxr engine (something like my little 125 xvs bobber just bigger) or a trike .....been looking at doing something a little special .

but im happy at being restricted at 33bhp for 2 years if it saves me a few bob (might just get the 150cc kit for the bobber) but ivgot a flat tire at the mo so cant go down to the local training centre and ask some questions.....

when i took my cbt last time the lad who was teaching me (and i only say lad cause he was younger than me) said i was ready to do my test but iv not had the funds till recently so im seriously considering it .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online