Can it be leaner legal?

Shaun G
This post is 4733 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, my first post so be kind :P

Ive just bought a 2001 XVS 650A but I've only got my CBT right now, (my 3rd BTW) my previous bike was an Aprilia RS125, now my question, can i get it restricted to ride on a CBT until I pass my Theory and my DA?

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding on a CBT you can ride a maximum of a 125CC bike. The power should also not be more than 12bhp. If you take your a1 license you can ride any bike but it has to be restricted to 33bhp. So then you could, but no, not on a CBT. Quite rightly too!

As the others have said, you can only ride a max of 125cc producing no more than 11Kw (14.751 bhp) on a CBT, so as your 650cc Dragstar produces 40bhp it will have to be left in the garage until you've got your full licence I'm afraid. It'll provide a great incentive to pull your finger out and pass your test though.

Riding on a CBT you can ride a maximum of a 125CC bike. The power should also not be more than 12bhp. If you take your a1 license you can ride any bike but it has to be restricted to 33bhp. So then you could, but no, not on a CBT. Quite rightly too!

A bit harsh as you don't know my riding ability, 4 years riding an unrestricted RS 125 is nothing to be sneezed at imo without incident is a fair right of passage, also a survivor of many weeks riding a 350 cruiser in India takes some doing, but hey ho, Full license inc.

A bit harsh as you don't know my riding ability, 4 years riding an unrestricted RS 125 is nothing to be sneezed at imo without incident is a fair right of passage, also a survivor of many weeks riding a 350 cruiser in India takes some doing, but hey ho, Full license inc.

Maybe it wasnt meant personally but more general. :rolleyes:

Regardless of your own personal ability, THE LAW states that all new riders are restricted as described. The 'quite rightly so' is to prevent many new riders from thinking that just because they've ridden an RS125, they can go out and hoon around on an R1.

There are bikes out there that will do 0-60 in less than THREE SECONDS!!

You offer even the notion that a few goes on a mate's 125 means someone can handle that and kids will be blazing off and crashing out like there's no tomorrow. That would be a tragic waste of many beautiful bikes! :lol:

Credit where due, you have some experience, but not everyone who comes to the forum asking such questions will be like you. Most are NOT, in fact, so based on the initial information you gave, this is why people have been so.... harsh.

Either way, from 350cc to a 650 weighing 37 stone *is* quite a hefty jump and even after you get your full licence, it will a bit of getting used to.

Besides, UK roads are very different - In countries where people drive like loonies all the time you expect stupidly dangerous stuff to happen. Here, it will happen when you *least* expect it!!

Hey Shaun, you need to get yourself fully licenced then you can come and play properly! Have a look at this

That's Ttaskmaster on his way to work, he got halfway there and remembered he'd forgotten his sandwiches so had to gun it so as not to be late! :lol::lol::lol:

Yes i was speaking generally but an RS125 doesnt make anyone a riding god. If it was anything like as powerful/fast as as 650, it wouldnt be allowed to be a learner legal bike so there is a big difference. I think the CBT is stupid in itself but hey, guess it filters out the bad riders through death :P

Wow - Video didn't look like he was ever going more than about 80...

Yeah I know, but I saw 175 on the speedo and I'm sure that's mph.

Daft bastard, he'll never get good fuel economy or tyre life riding like that! :D

pretty sure it would have to be kph and the video HAS been sped up at times, whatever the video maker claims. either what though, some very stu-pid riding.

Yeah agreed, a third party wouldn't stand much chance in a 100mph+ incident no matter what they were driving, but I guess these people think if it comes on top they will be the only casualty.

Yeah well if that were the case then id be happy to have them out of the gene pool. Unfortunately even if they are the only one to get splattered it means someone loses a family member, someone has to shovel the bits of body they can find into a bag and a road gets closed, meaning i might end up in traffic.

Regardless of your own personal ability, THE LAW states that all new riders are restricted as described. The 'quite rightly so' is to prevent many new riders from thinking that just because they've ridden an RS125, they can go out and hoon around on an R1.

There are bikes out there that will do 0-60 in less than THREE SECONDS!!

You offer even the notion that a few goes on a mate's 125 means someone can handle that and kids will be blazing off and crashing out like there's no tomorrow. That would be a tragic waste of many beautiful bikes! :lol:

Credit where due, you have some experience, but not everyone who comes to the forum asking such questions will be like you. Most are NOT, in fact, so based on the initial information you gave, this is why people have been so.... harsh.

Either way, from 350cc to a 650 weighing 37 stone *is* quite a hefty jump and even after you get your full licence, it will a bit of getting used to.

Besides, UK roads are very different - In countries where people drive like loonies all the time you expect stupidly dangerous stuff to happen. Here, it will happen when you *least* expect it!!

My question was merely *can my 650 xvs be restricted* thats all!! I now know it cannot, Im toally confident in my riding ability i have been driving legally since 1984 and the Aprilia RS125 which I owned for almost 3 years was the fastest production 125 in the world at the time I had it and would easily eat my 650 for breakfast. I only wanted my question answered :P it's a tough forum i guess :( thread closed imo.

My question was merely *can my 650 xvs be restricted* thats all!! I now know it cannot, Im toally confident in my riding ability i have been driving legally since 1984 and the Aprilia RS125 which I owned for almost 3 years was the fastest production 125 in the world at the time I had it and would easily eat my 650 for breakfast. I only wanted my question answered :P it's a tough forum i guess :( thread closed imo.

I gotta agree with that 100% shaun, tthe XVS is generally restricted to 33bhp if necessary for peeps who passed their test but still have limitations,

My question was merely *can my 650 xvs be restricted* thats all!! I now know it cannot I only wanted my question answered

Well........technically, your question was not whether the XVS650 could be restricted 'that's all!!' The question you posed was as follows...................

Ive just bought a 2001 XVS 650A but I've only got my CBT right now, now my question, can i get it restricted to ride on a CBT until I pass my Theory and my DA?

The question of whether the XVS650 can or cannot be restricted was perhaps misconstrude, when people talk of restricting bikes they usually mean restricting the power output to 33bhp, which in this case is clearly irrelevent, because as a holder of no more than a CBT certificate you are not in possesion of a licence which will enable you to ride the 650 regardless of it's power output. The law clearly states that as a learner rider you are restricted to a machine of no more than 125cc which is capable of producing no more than 11Kw.

You state that it is your intetion to take the Direct Acsess licence, which again makes the whole restriction debate irrelevent as once you become licenced through that route, you will have full acsess to any size machine you care to purchase (personally, I would steer clear of the XVS650 as it really isn't man enough for the job in hand, but that's personal preference).

As for this being a tough forum, I think you may have just run up against some of the more prickly residents and asked a smewhat daft question so I hope that this thread hasn't tainted your veiw too much.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online