Painting spokes

thumbs
This post is 4789 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an ole xt350. The spokes are rusting. I have cleaned and waxed the spokes but the rust comes back pretty quickly. I was wondering if anyone has painted the spokes. If so what did you use? Did you brush or spray it on?

Thanks for the help

Gary

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

iv painted mine....and they have lasted quite well. i used hamerite special metal primer (with a brush) then sanded each one down a touch (just to smooth them out) then exhaust paint in black with a brush. then clear coat (cheepo rattle can) then finaly some back to black bumper wax/polish to finish them off :D so far they have lasted 8 months and are doing well B) took about a week to do, but i dont have any rust to remove or chrome to polish ;)

Ok thanks. I didn't know if I was going to create more problems than I was correcting. I take this bike camping all the time on the back of my camper. We spend quite a bit of time around salt air. There in lies the problem. The only thing I could think of was to paint the darn things.

Are the materials you mentioned available at a hardware store or are these more like body shop supplies?

there all from the local hardware store (wilkos as its known in the uk). but there is a little trick you could try, when you have cleaned all the rust/gunk off the spokes, either give them a coat of clear spray paint, or petroleum jelly, this should stop the moisture and salt getting to the metal.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online