Help with wiring RS100

gazward
This post is 4635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

think i posted this in wrong area so posted again

I am sorry if this is covered else where on this forum, but i have just recently purchased a RS100 for a restoration project.

Trouble is that although i have now got it running well, the electrics were shot.

After buying a new battery the electrics worked for about 30 minutes before packing up never to work again.

I have now completely rewired where necessary according to the haynes manual, but although my battery has power, as soon as i connect it to the rectifier it doesn't read any voltage. also the power isn't getting to the ignition.

The bike still runs but i have no lights or power to the rest of the bike.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the issue could be?

I have left the original wires were i can and have checked that they are continuous with my multi meter

Any help would be appriciated.

Bike is a 1975 rs100 And i live in the Matlock area if anyone is willing to share their expertiese.

Thank you in advance

Gareth

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Id go fuses first then start with GND, be sure you dont have a GND wire off somewhere, Im not sure on this model but some yamys have a GND inthe headlight bucket, should be 3 blacks joined, goin by memory but I think itll kill the electrics to ACC's.

I was thinking of the Ground, in haynes it shows only two, the battery and the rest.

All wires were a mess and i think i have all earths together so could be the cause. How do i go about finding it? trial and error? Thank you for that

Also my indicators was working on a two pronged relay, in Haynes again it shows three, which is correct and which should i use?

Does GND mean ground? sorry if i have misunderstood you

Thank you for your advice

Gareth

............, but although my battery has power, as soon as i connect it to the rectifier it doesn't read any voltage. also the power isn't getting to the ignition.

........Gareth

Gareth, Can you explain this comment in detail?

I assume you have checked the fuse?

Gareth, Can you explain this comment in detail?

I assume you have checked the fuse?

Hi Oldgitonabike, nice name :)

Yes i have checked the fuse.

I'll try and explain better.

I have got a new battery and it is reading in at just over 6 volts. There is an inline fuse which still shows just over 6 volts through the fuse.

There is a red wire which connects to the rectifier and the ignition barrel.

When i connect this wire i cant get any reading from battery or at the point it connects to the rectifier or at the ignition switch.

I dont understand why this is happening. Prob like the other guy said possible link to bad earth somewhere.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you Gareth

Hi Oldgitonabike, nice name :)

Yes i have checked the fuse.

I'll try and explain better.

I have got a new battery and it is reading in at just over 6 volts. There is an inline fuse which still shows just over 6 volts through the fuse.

There is a red wire which connects to the rectifier and the ignition barrel.

When i connect this wire i cant get any reading from battery or at the point it connects to the rectifier or at the ignition switch.

I dont understand why this is happening. Prob like the other guy said possible link to bad earth somewhere.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you Gareth

Its is possible you are connecting to the rectifier the wrong way round, is there a sybol on the rectifier...a triangle with a line across one of the points of the triangle? the red wire should connect to this terminal

Its is possible you are connecting to the rectifier the wrong way round, is there a sybol on the rectifier...a triangle with a line across one of the points of the triangle? the red wire should connect to this terminal

Yes i tried this, connected multimeter and it shows current one way and not the other, i connected the red wire to the terminal which had the red wire of my multimeter on it when it showed a current. Plus i tried it the other way round just in case.

Thank you for you reply.

Do you think it could be the earth as said in previous reply? I've not had chance to get out to it today due to the rain.

I know when i first got it if i connected a certain earth the lights wouldnt work but then if i connected it elsewhere they did, but to be honest they were wires everywhere. They are all tidy(ish) now but i just have this one problem.

wanted to get it all running and sorted before i stripped it down and tidied it all up.

Thank you again

Gareth

Yes i tried this, connected multimeter and it shows current one way and not the other, i connected the red wire to the terminal which had the red wire of my multimeter on it when it showed a current. Plus i tried it the other way round just in case.

Thank you for you reply.

Do you think it could be the earth as said in previous reply? I've not had chance to get out to it today due to the rain.

I know when i first got it if i connected a certain earth the lights wouldnt work but then if i connected it elsewhere they did, but to be honest they were wires everywhere. They are all tidy(ish) now but i just have this one problem.

wanted to get it all running and sorted before i stripped it down and tidied it all up.

Thank you again

Gareth

connect the red wire to the terminal (red probe) that shows infinate resistance or as i said look on the rectifier for the symbol i mentioned.

you really must get this the right way round.

yes it could also be a bad gnd, you may find a gnd connection on one of the ignition coil mounting screws

Thank you

Yes i tried the rectifier both ways just incase but still no power from battery getting anywhere.

Can all the Gnd wires be put together or do some of them have to have separate GND to others?

Sorry if i am not making myself very easy to understand, but your help is very welcome.

Thank you

Gareth

Thank you

Yes i tried the rectifier both ways just incase but still no power from battery getting anywhere.

Can all the Gnd wires be put together or do some of them have to have separate GND to others?

Sorry if i am not making myself very easy to understand, but your help is very welcome.

Thank you

Gareth

Okay i have bypassed the red wire which was already there and have gotten power from the battery to the ignition.

but now the power will not come through the ignition.

when the bike is running i have power to the lights, but not the side lights or break lights, and the indicators and horn still don't work.

Maybe i have got a wire crossed somewhere but if anyone has had similar problems any help would be appreciated.

I must thank oldgitonabike for all his input, it is really helpful, but unfortunately not got to the source of the problem.

Thank you for all the advice and keep it coming

Cheers

Gareth

Okay i have bypassed the red wire which was already there and have gotten power from the battery to the ignition.

but now the power will not come through the ignition.

when the bike is running i have power to the lights, but not the side lights or break lights, and the indicators and horn still don't work.

Maybe i have got a wire crossed somewhere but if anyone has had similar problems any help would be appreciated.

I must thank oldgitonabike for all his input, it is really helpful, but unfortunately not got to the source of the problem.

Thank you for all the advice and keep it coming

Cheers

Gareth

so you ran a wire direct from the battery + to the ignition switch? did I interpret this right or have you still got the fuse in line?

power to the headlamp is possibly direct from the magneto same as my DT175, the battery feeds the pilot lamp, indicators, tail lamp stop lamp, neutral lamp and dash (clock) lamps and horn.

so you ran a wire direct from the battery + to the ignition switch? did I interpret this right or have you still got the fuse in line?

power to the headlamp is possibly direct from the magneto same as my DT175, the battery feeds the pilot lamp, indicators, tail lamp stop lamp, neutral lamp and dash (clock) lamps and horn.

Sorry yes i ran a wire through a fuse, direct to the red wire on the ignition, and also spliced it so it went to the rectifier as shown in Haynes.

When i turn the ignition on there should be power from the brown wire but it never appears.

Think you got the nail on the head with the magneto, that will explain why only headlights and taillight working. One problem solved :)

Thank you for advice again

Gareth

This does really sound like a bad ground, the only way for DC not to flow is either the positive has a break in it or the negative (ground) has a break in it, the positive could be broken by a switch a bad connection or a bad component, the negative needs good connections to return to the battery

Thank you again

I've tinkered with it again and removed the 3 pronged flasher unit which then got all electrics working, but when indicators were on they flashed alternately with the main lights, and when i revved the bike all lights blew out Grrrrrrrrrr

I think i may leave the electrics until i've stripped the bike right back.

Going to take it to the frame, and start to renew it all. Maybe the wiring may sort itself out when I start to put it back together.

Thank you for everyones advice.

Will start a new post which will show beginning and after pictures.

Keep up your advice and help as it is still much appreciated.

Cheers Gareth

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online