1976 Yami 600 point or carb problems??

goodoleyami
This post is 4715 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good morning all, My friend gave me a 1976 600 (or so he says) I tried to call the local dealer with the serial numbers but they couldn't help me. I have yet to see the title to verify the size. The bike is in o.k. shape and does run. I had to clean and separate the points to get it to fire. It idles o.k. but wont wind all the way up unless I am very easy on the throttle. When it does rev up and I let go of the throttle it takes a long time to wind back down to idle. I am hoping the some one can let me know what the point gap should be. Also, I know that it would be a good idea to take the carburetors off and clean them but I am not sure if there are allot of hard to find gaskets or parts that I will need to find. I have been looking at them to see if there is an external fuel/air mixture but I don't see any. Any help would be great. Thanks, Craig

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good morning all, My friend gave me a 1976 600 (or so he says) I tried to call the local dealer with the serial numbers but they couldn't help me. I have yet to see the title to verify the size. The bike is in o.k. shape and does run. I had to clean and separate the points to get it to fire. It idles o.k. but wont wind all the way up unless I am very easy on the throttle. When it does rev up and I let go of the throttle it takes a long time to wind back down to idle. I am hoping the some one can let me know what the point gap should be. Also, I know that it would be a good idea to take the carburetors off and clean them but I am not sure if there are allot of hard to find gaskets or parts that I will need to find. I have been looking at them to see if there is an external fuel/air mixture but I don't see any. Any help would be great. Thanks, Craig

Greetings Craig, we havent 'met' so :welcome:, we have an new members section if you want to intro yourself there perhaps.

maybe I can have a look for your model in my file but i will need some numbers. I am wondering with such an old bike...what condition the carb diaphragms may be in, possibly perished / cracked etc ?

Greetings Craig, we havent 'met' so :welcome:, we have an new members section if you want to intro yourself there perhaps.

maybe I can have a look for your model in my file but i will need some numbers. I am wondering with such an old bike...what condition the carb diaphragms may be in, possibly perished / cracked etc ?

I will get all the numbers and try to get some pictures on here, not sure if I can. Thanks for the input, Craig