1977 dt 250

This post is 4796 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i have a 77 dt 250 that is very hrd to start. i cleaned and set the carb mixture at 1 1/2, idle at 3, emptied the fuel tank and put in fresh gas set the points according to the manual that i have and adjusted the timing. now when i go to start it, it runs for 30 seconds then dies this is with no choke, then i take the plug out and it is soaking wet with gas.

how do i fix this and what should the timing be set at (how far advanced)

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't know the settings for '77 DT but if you went off your manual it should be ok.

Are you getting spark?

Gordo

Welcome " Try a new Spark plug, ;) , am 99.9% certain this is what it is,,,, fixed a Ty250 last week with same symptoms,,,,

I am getting spark, is it by chance that the needle is not holding because the plug is dripping after the first time it runs.

Also got it to run and drive for about a 1/4 mile be cleaning the carb and setting the points and timing then it would not idle and when i would get that far then it would die and i had to weight for the bike to cool off then it would start again. when i would start it, it had to be full choke and the throtle fully open like if it were flooded. would this have anything to do with the coil.

thanks for the arm welcome and all the info

I agree with Blackhat on trying a new plug. Could be dodgey coil and/or lead too but if it's related to being hot or cold and you can run for at least a bit it sounds like a carby problem. Messing around with the timing might be causing you problems too.

thanks i will give that a go how advanced should the timing be? right now it is about half way between zero and fully advanced and it seems to still have some kick back, this is my first experence with two stroke dirt bikes, i have four sleds all two stroke and i can keep that running in top shape maybe i am just a winter person. :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online