Possible German Import - XV125

Cloud
This post is 4723 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The bloke I bought my Virago from said the bike was an import (first registered in the UK) and the KM/H speedo gives another clue to this. I then noticed that World's End have two pages for the XV125, one being for a German "80KM/H Version" - how can I confirm that my machine is or isn't a German spec, what can I check on the bike itself?

I'm wanting to change the sprockets on it, as well. The bike is over-revving at 52mph, and that simply isn't good enough, as I do nearly 300 open-road miles per week. My Gilera 125 would cruise at 65, and would do over 70 if I needed it, and the Yamaha should/will have a bit more cojones all the way through the rev range, so I know it'll do the same. But changes need to be made. As standard, the front sprocket has 13 teeth, and there doesn't seem to be any other option for the XV125.

Will any other sprockets fit the shaft?

If I have to have custom sprockets made, how big, physically, is the front sprocket casing able to take? Can I fit an 18-tooth one in? Similarly, how small is it possible to go on the rear?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.