Advice needed on left hand switch on Mk3 DT 125 please

weimieman
This post is 4797 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As mentioned in my new member introduction and in my project forum, one of the things wrong on my 86 MK 3 DT was that the left hand gear switch was somewhat, well, lacking in switches. It has the HI LO switch along with the headlight controls but no indicators or horn button. Read my intro if you want to know more about the horn button!

I can get a brand new switch for £78.04 but I really am loathed so part with that much for such a small part and after several false promises from so called breakers, I'm having no luck getting one second hand. Now I've been thinking ......

Similar to the situation where fixing my Goldwing starter motor gave me the confidence to tackle a light restoration on this bike, I had a similar epiphany at the weekend when I was fitting an aftermarket tow bar to my car. Being a non genuine Land Rover product, there was no white plug at the end of the loom to plug into the car's loom so I thought surely it was just a case of cutting the plug off the car and sussing out which wire belonged to what by using a circuit tester. Long story short (too late I know. I did warn you when I joined that I bang on a bit)I figured out each of the 7 wires and labelled them up. A little help from my wife poing out the colours to me (again the colour blind thing) and it was sorted so my question is after all this banging on, can a similar thing be done with the left hand switch?

I've looked at many on Flea Bay and a lot of them have the same set up with the hi lo, lights, indicators and horn on them but the block is different so is it technically possible to simply pair up the wires with the ones in the loom? Am I thinking a bit too straight forward or has anyone done it or knows that it could be done? I'm not bothered about the looks of the wires not having the original plugs etc as I'm never selling the old girl as my new headlight with the built in indicators will hide the bullet connectors.

Like the title says, advice please :)

And a final apology for banging on but you need to have an insight into how my mind works to see why I come up with these things :offtopic:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't sound like a bad idea, try looking for the switchgear of a bike of similar age and cc for options.

Seeing as Yamaha are incredibly lazy at times i would expect most all the yam 125 to share the same LH switchgear bar wiring oddities. Bet there are a lot more TZR, SR 125 etc switchgear about.

Cheers Cynic, I never thought about checking for other models. It's common sense now you point it out!

Hey ho, I suppose that's what the learning curve is about on here :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online