DT125LC Mk2

This post is 4638 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello... I've recent bought a DT125LC Mk2 'field bike' which I intend to restore, and put back on the road. The seller says it is a 'B' or 'C' '85' or '86' DT125 LC Mk2. I won't actually see it until tomorrow as its an EBAY buy, but from what I have seen in the photo's there does not seem to be much difference between the Mk1 & Mk2, albeit I see that the radiator on the Mk2 has a small fairing in the right.

As expected its missing the clocks, side panels, and the small fairing over the radiator. I know that early DT's are now like hens teeth (I've just started to restore an '83' plate DT125MX and it seemed that there are still plenty of parts for the 125/175MX). Does anyone know if the Mk2 & DTR share any common parts? Clocks, switches etc? I see that there are plenty of DTR's in the breakers yards....

I understand that the Mk2 was a cosmetic facelift of the Mk1 and that the Mk2 had a disc front end, but apart from that it was the basic 125 DT/RD engine. The Mk3 had the powervalve, and the DTR was the next in the series?

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello... I've recent bought a DT125LC Mk2 'field bike' which I intend to restore, and put back on the road. The seller says it is a 'B' or 'C' '85' or '86' DT125 LC Mk2. I won't actually see it until tomorrow as its an EBAY buy, but from what I have seen in the photo's there does not seem to be much difference between the Mk1 & Mk2, albeit I see that the radiator on the Mk2 has a small fairing in the right.

As expected its missing the clocks, side panels, and the small fairing over the radiator. I know that early DT's are now like hens teeth (I've just started to restore an '83' plate DT125MX and it seemed that there are still plenty of parts for the 125/175MX). Does anyone know if the Mk2 & DTR share any common parts? Clocks, switches etc? I see that there are plenty of DTR's in the breakers yards....

I understand that the Mk2 was a cosmetic facelift of the Mk1 and that the Mk2 had a disc front end, but apart from that it was the basic 125 DT/RD engine. The Mk3 had the powervalve, and the DTR was the next in the series?

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thank you

Not an expert on the waterpumpers but have an interest. As far as i know it runs thus...

82/83 The lc breaks ground and has the engine but shares a lot of parts like rear suspention wheels etc with the old mx

88 gets mono cross rear susp and a front disk with better forks and looks a lot like like the current DTR's

93ish gets the PV and a rear disc

98 gets supplied with the pv gubbins powerd up,

2003 becomes the DTR proper

2008 gone........ :(

Detail tweaks allthrough but thats a rough line. Vez or OGOAB will have a more accurate lineage i think.

Thank you. I owned an 88/E plate DTR, which I also bought as a box of bits, and put back on the road. It was very quick for a 125. I didn't keep it long because a work colleague offered me £ 900 and at the time it was good money, so I waved it good bye. I had plans to get the powervalve servo etc for it but money talked, and it went. I previously owned a '83 Y plate RD125LC mk 1 and know how plastics for anything early 80's are like hens teeth. I will be keeping the 125 for myself, and ultimately my son, I am happy to turn it into a bit of a hybrid. I've seen somewhere that there is a 175 big bore kit, which would suit me as I have a full licence anyway, but that might be a later project. I'm just in the process of restoring a DT125MX, which has been fitted with a 175 barrel.

I'd like to keep the DT125LC pretty standard looking, but understand that I'm going to struggle now for plastics!!!

Many thanks for the response.

Cheers

Not an expert on the waterpumpers but have an interest. As far as i know it runs thus...

82/83 The lc breaks ground and has the engine but shares a lot of parts like rear suspention wheels etc with the old mx

88 gets mono cross rear susp and a front disk with better forks and looks a lot like like the current DTR's

93ish gets the PV and a rear disc

98 gets supplied with the pv gubbins powerd up,

2003 becomes the DTR proper

2008 gone........ :(

Detail tweaks allthrough but thats a rough line. Vez or OGOAB will have a more accurate lineage i think.

I believe the mk2 & 3 are very similar. the 2 introduced the front disc brake and stayed with drum on the back throughout the mk3. In 88 the DTR came about which had discs on front and back and was a very different bike.

Another difference between the mk1 and 2 was the swing arm. I think it was the mk2 that first used the monocross swing arm, before then it had another bar that went up at a 45 degree angle. google it you'll see what i mean. Most of the parts between the mk 1 2 and 3 are interchangeable. They only made a few tweaks to the bike during these years, hence them being mk 1 2 and 3, then they re vamped it completely in 1988 bringing out the new 'model' DT125R.

I have a few bits left from the LC models, if you are in need of any let me know and ill see if i have them.

I believe the mk2 & 3 are very similar. the 2 introduced the front disc brake and stayed with drum on the back throughout the mk3. In 88 the DTR came about which had discs on front and back and was a very different bike.

Another difference between the mk1 and 2 was the swing arm. I think it was the mk2 that first used the monocross swing arm, before then it had another bar that went up at a 45 degree angle. google it you'll see what i mean. Most of the parts between the mk 1 2 and 3 are interchangeable. They only made a few tweaks to the bike during these years, hence them being mk 1 2 and 3, then they re vamped it completely in 1988 bringing out the new 'model' DT125R.

I have a few bits left from the LC models, if you are in need of any let me know and ill see if i have them.

Thank you. If you could let me know what bits you have I'd be appreciative. I need the usual stuff; clocks head light, tail light, head light surround, & 2 stroke tank (Why anyone would choose to premix rather than use the tank amazes me.) I had a long conversation with the guy at our local bike shop today. He's a source of info, and went through the differences between the LC Mk 1 & Mk 2 & Mk 3. I haven't actually been able to get my hands on the bike yet, as its still on its way to me, but should have it for the end of the week. I thought I'd sourced a servo kit for it today. Unfortunately the local bike guy informs me that the servo kit for the LC 2 & 3 is nothing like the DTR servo. I've a full licence anyway, but just wanted something retro to blast around our village on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Thank you. If you could let me know what bits you have I'd be appreciative. I need the usual stuff; clocks head light, tail light, head light surround, & 2 stroke tank (Why anyone would choose to premix rather than use the tank amazes me.) I had a long conversation with the guy at our local bike shop today. He's a source of info, and went through the differences between the LC Mk 1 & Mk 2 & Mk 3. I haven't actually been able to get my hands on the bike yet, as its still on its way to me, but should have it for the end of the week. I thought I'd sourced a servo kit for it today. Unfortunately the local bike guy informs me that the servo kit for the LC 2 & 3 is nothing like the DTR servo. I've a full licence anyway, but just wanted something retro to blast around our village on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

I dont think i have anything that you need infact, only bits that you may want as spares. But all of my parts are not in good condition and would need some work to get them in a useable condition. There is a thread in the for sale section with the bits and photos. I'm not sure about the servo, but i know that the early DTR ones are rare enough themself so i bet you'll have a hard job finding a DT125C one if they are different. Find a Parts manual. I think i have a Parts manual for a DT125LC on microfice somewhere. Infact i think i got it photocopied. If i can find it i'll scan it all in and put i a pdf. I think thats where the gasket set im looking for is as well. Thanks, you may have found my missing gasket set! HAHA!

Thank you. I've seen that Yuni Parts are advertising a parts manual on EBAY. I've had another quick look at the bike and I'm sure that some of the bits for the early DTR are the same. I've picked up a headlamp bracket this morning, and I've seen an ad on the net for a new old stock head lamp surround. I've no switchgear, but again, I think they can be picked up new from somewhere like Yambits etc. Its the usual field bike, with lights, indicators etc missing, but the main bits I need are there.

I've given up on the idea of getting the power valve working. Its a shame because I understand that it does make a difference. I had a TZR250 with the powervalve, and it went like stink!

Bit flumoxed with the front end though. My Haynes shows the LC II with a disc front ent, but mine seems to have a drum. I had thought may be that I'd bought a LC and that someone had put a newer tank on with LCII graphics, only its definately an LCII engine with power valve, and Yamaha UK have confirmed it from their records. The frame number starts 35A. They very kindly supplied me with the registration number, although I note that DVLA now charge £ 25 for the priviledge!

Cheers for the response.

Thank you. I've seen that Yuni Parts are advertising a parts manual on EBAY. I've had another quick look at the bike and I'm sure that some of the bits for the early DTR are the same. I've picked up a headlamp bracket this morning, and I've seen an ad on the net for a new old stock head lamp surround. I've no switchgear, but again, I think they can be picked up new from somewhere like Yambits etc. Its the usual field bike, with lights, indicators etc missing, but the main bits I need are there.

I've given up on the idea of getting the power valve working. Its a shame because I understand that it does make a difference. I had a TZR250 with the powervalve, and it went like stink!

Bit flumoxed with the front end though. My Haynes shows the LC II with a disc front ent, but mine seems to have a drum. I had thought may be that I'd bought a LC and that someone had put a newer tank on with LCII graphics, only its definately an LCII engine with power valve, and Yamaha UK have confirmed it from their records. The frame number starts 35A. They very kindly supplied me with the registration number, although I note that DVLA now charge £ 25 for the priviledge!

Cheers for the response.

You seem to be having the very same dilemma that I had the other week when I got my DT 125 LC. I was 100% convinced that I had the mk II as mine is on a D plate and registered on the 31/12/86 so you can't get much later than that. However I still had my Haynes manual from 1991 when I first had a DT and due to the disc brake they say it's a MK III yet the decals off the MK III are completely different and the lower parts of the forks have plastic guards on them whereas mine doesn't.

I too bought that guide off Yuni parts and it states for all 1986 models 35A onwards yet everything on my bike shows 34X so I'm kinda thinking that mine really is an 85 bike and it sat around unregistered for over a year but then Haynes throw another spanner in the works and say that the MK II never had a disc brake on the front as the changes from MK I to MK II were purely cosmetic????

I don't even know where to start with the whole powervalve thing as I'd love mine to have one and for it to be working as I'm 4 stone heavier than I was in 1991 and my MK I wasn't that fast back in the day! :banghead:

If you PM your email address, I'll send you over that Yunipart catalogue as it may help you a bit. Also, I've got a headlight and surround if you're interested.

EDIT This is on Ebay at the mo. This appears to be a late registered 85 model on a C but it has the powervalve but no disc brake!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140587646794&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You seem to be having the very same dilemma that I had the other week when I got my DT 125 LC. I was 100% convinced that I had the mk II as mine is on a D plate and registered on the 31/12/86 so you can't get much later than that. However I still had my Haynes manual from 1991 when I first had a DT and due to the disc brake they say it's a MK III yet the decals off the MK III are completely different and the lower parts of the forks have plastic guards on them whereas mine doesn't.

I too bought that guide off Yuni parts and it states for all 1986 models 35A onwards yet everything on my bike shows 34X so I'm kinda thinking that mine really is an 85 bike and it sat around unregistered for over a year but then Haynes throw another spanner in the works and say that the MK II never had a disc brake on the front as the changes from MK I to MK II were purely cosmetic????

I don't even know where to start with the whole powervalve thing as I'd love mine to have one and for it to be working as I'm 4 stone heavier than I was in 1991 and my MK I wasn't that fast back in the day! :banghead:

If you PM your email address, I'll send you over that Yunipart catalogue as it may help you a bit. Also, I've got a headlight and surround if you're interested.

EDIT This is on Ebay at the mo. This appears to be a late registered 85 model on a C but it has the powervalve but no disc brake!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140587646794&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks for your response. I've just had a quick look at the bike on EBAY, and it has the same decals as mine. I notice he's got the wrong colour radiator cover. Its a red one, and should be white. Mine is the red version of this, and has the drum brake at the front also. I couldn't quite see whether it shows powervalve. As far as I am aware, the DT125LC was had a 6 volt electrical system, and the LCII got a 12 volt system, and blanked off power valve. The LC has no rev counter, but the LCII and LCIII have. I had an '88 E plate DTR and this looked very similar to the LC II & III albeit it stood a lot taller, and it went like stink! The clocks on my early DTR appear to be the same as the LCII so I'm hoping to pick some up to fit. I'm missing both side panels. but will keep hunting.

Know what you mean about the powervalve.... I'm in my 40's now, and carrying a few more pounds that I used to do... I spoke with a local bike shop, and the guy has restored a few DT's and he said that full powered LCII did not come into the UK, and at the time, you could get one or the kit if you passed your test. He said that it was controlled by the CDI.

I've be interested in your headlamp and surround, and I'd be very appreciative if you could email me a copy of the parts list. My email address is [email protected]

Cheers

They will all have the "powervalve" fitted. It's just about the servo motor, cables, pully and pully cover. The only part that is hard to get is the servo.

You can slightly adjust the position of the powervalve in the exhaust port to suit yourself. Theres more posts about it in the de restricing DTR thread. The bikes were never sold with the powervavle servo kit as standard until 1997 i think. Before then they were not fitted and sold as an upgrade by yamaha as a kind of de-restricion from learner legal bikes. Have you found out if the servo is different? There are two main types, 3 wire and 5 wire.

Cheers Andy, I'll check out that thread you mentioned.

Thanks... I'll also look at these threads. To be honest my first port of call was the local Yamaha Dealer, and he said that he'd never seen the full power kit for a DT. I'd seen a few DTR servo's on EBAY, and was going to have a go with a DTR one, but they look totally different. The local bike shop guy was pretty clued up on them, and said that even if you get the servo fitted, you've got to get the CDI activate the servo. I think I'm going to struggle with a 25 year old bike, so will be happy to do a full restoration and leave standard...

If anyone has spare plastics, I'd be interested.

Thank you

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online