yamaha dt 125 sm 2007 starter motor

Rach449
This post is 3927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone. i have now got my bike back but the starter motor is wrecked any idea how to get this done cheaply as ive today spent £500 getting the engine rebuilt !! ready to burn it now to be honest and so happy to the person who sold me a dead bike after 24 hrs of buying it please help any ideas best wishes rachael

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi everyone. i have now got my bike back but the starter motor is wrecked any idea how to get this done cheaply as ive today spent £500 getting the engine rebuilt !! ready to burn it now to be honest and so happy to the person who sold me a dead bike after 24 hrs of buying it please help any ideas best wishes rachael

What exactly is wrong with the starter motor Rachael?if totally tatered then look on ebay, or hope someone on the forum reads your plight and may come forward with a cheapo one, other than that, the only suggestion is try bump starting it,till you can sort out a starter motor that is, and I hope you don't live in Norfolk ;)

Hi

Depending on the fault starter motors can be repaired, the starter could have a mechanical failure and providing the parts are obtainable your starter could possibly be overhauled, I would look at getting the starter motor repaired if possible,

Alternatively look on e-bay and at local bike breakers for another starter, also try to find out what other Yamaha models use the same starter knowing this could widen your search,

Hi

Depending on the fault starter motors can be repaired, the starter could have a mechanical failure and providing the parts are obtainable your starter could possibly be overhauled, I would look at getting the starter motor repaired if possible,

Alternatively look on e-bay and at local bike breakers for another starter, also try to find out what other Yamaha models use the same starter knowing this could widen your search,

Hi nev I've been bumping it since I got it back today as I couldnt wait to go on it til I get the motor sorted as its been in the garage since 27th of june and yeah they took there time in the rebuild to tell me the starters gobe and they can get me one for £600 i think ill give them a miss though as it took so long to get it back and yeah I think it's definitely a refurb needed as there is nothing happening so I'm hoping to get it off tomorrow and take it to a centre and be told it can be refurbished rather than replaced !! I bought the bike from Luton so I really hope what goes around comes around hey. Thanks nayruf I'll be keeping my fingers crossed on a refurb and let you both know how I get on. Just can't believe my luck on this bike so far so hoping for some good news or a cheap starter regards rachael

Hi nev I've been bumping it since I got it back today as I couldnt wait to go on it til I get the motor sorted as its been in the garage since 27th of june and yeah they took there time in the rebuild to tell me the starters gobe and they can get me one for £600 i think ill give them a miss though as it took so long to get it back and yeah I think it's definitely a refurb needed as there is nothing happening so I'm hoping to get it off tomorrow and take it to a centre and be told it can be refurbished rather than replaced !! I bought the bike from Luton so I really hope what goes around comes around hey. Thanks nayruf I'll be keeping my fingers crossed on a refurb and let you both know how I get on. Just can't believe my luck on this bike so far so hoping for some good news or a cheap starter regards rachael

Hi all just a thought but would it be wiser to instal a kick start on my bike instead of getting the starter motor sorted!! Just a thought what about yours !! Thanks again for all your help best wishes rachael

Hi all just a thought but would it be wiser to instal a kick start on my bike instead of getting the starter motor sorted!! Just a thought what about yours !! Thanks again for all your help best wishes rachael

I'm thinking that the shaft is there for a kickstart, just no kick start lever? if so look out for a kickstart on ebay,I know the xt models fit on them too as I took mine off my XT for a lads DT till he bought a second hand one, AND £600 for a starter motor? thats with fitting I presume :blink: some bodies having a laugh there, look in thompson or yellow pages local to you, and search for alternator reconditioning, usually for cars, take your starter there for a quote to be fixed/reconditioned, or hold out for a cheapo on ebay, ball park around £40-50 quid.

You could more than likely fit it yourself saving about £30 odd pounds a garage would charge,but a workshop manual is the first thing you'll need to start with. My DT is the earlier dtr model with just the kickstart btw, unlike your dt125re with starter

£600.00 HOW MUCH!!!

For £600 you could buy a cheap second hand bike break it for spares keep the starter and what ever spares you needed, then sell the rest on E-bay and still not lose money.

I'm thinking that the shaft is there for a kickstart, just no kick start lever? if so look out for a kickstart on ebay,....................

no mate theres no shaft there but i think the cases are machined to accept the mechanism and the outer case just has a bung in.

no mate theres no shaft there but i think the cases are machined to accept the mechanism and the outer case just has a bung in.

Ah, right, got ya, I was thinking it was the same as the TTR engine I had in the Rieju, electric start, plus shaft for kickstart.

Hi all thank you for all the feedback and yes oldgitonabike your right there is nothing for the kickstart so it would have to have the whole thing installed and I have tried all day eg breakers and all search sites but no joy on a second hand starter motor so I'm stuck at the mo as mine is a non fixable one !!! I couldn't believe the garage trying to charge me £600 either and that's a definate no and I paid the £500 as I thought it was worth that for a new built engine but now I'm gutted again over this starter motor so if any one out there has one for sale please contact me and just to say again to all on here who has given me brilliant advice thankyou.

Hi all thank you for all the feedback and yes oldgitonabike your right there is nothing for the kickstart so it would have to have the whole thing installed and I have tried all day eg breakers and all search sites but no joy on a second hand starter motor so I'm stuck at the mo as mine is a non fixable one !!! I couldn't believe the garage trying to charge me £600 either and that's a definate no and I paid the £500 as I thought it was worth that for a new built engine but now I'm gutted again over this starter motor so if any one out there has one for sale please contact me and just to say again to all on here who has given me brilliant advice thankyou.

Rachael here is a diagram of the parts involved

Click on the Starter tab :thumb:

%201A3RM-300EA/STARTER/"]My link

you will need to buy a kicker mechanism (see other link) and the oil seal numbered 18 in the diagram, you will have no trouble finding the lever on ebay

I found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kick-start-shaft-dtr-125-yamaha-/330595316844?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4cf904346c

• 1 year later...

just get a kickstart mechanism, oil seals, 2 circlips, lever and lever nut. Iv just priced it up and its less than 50 for the parts, if you cant fit it yourself itl be about 30-40 labour. kick start is much more reliable and much more fun ;)

As you have so much info to deal with now all I want to say is burn the shop that wants to charge you 600 for a starter and save the bike with all the info already given here.

Yamis lazy about re desining new stuff normaly just a tweek here or there on the same part there has to be another starter that could fit or be made to fit by changing out the nose end.

Just a ? how do you know the starter is pmf ..is it the word of this scaming shop? Did it work before you took it to them? If so then it's not fooked just they did something to screw it up and maybe we can work it out with some more info.

If you hook up a booster cable from the + battery to the terminal on the starter does anything happen?You can do this on a bench with the starter off just hook up the - to the housing and battery and the + to the battery then touch the + to the terminal on the starter it will jump around so make sure it is held tight the starter that is.

If you hit the start button does it even do anything?

Is ther any power to the starter selnoid?

So many ??? not sure where to start but if it worked before you took it to the bastereds then I am betting that its someting they did! Like sold your starter to someone else 3 months to rebuild a motor is WHACKED.

And I want to help you fix it Phil

• 9 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online