SR125 Head light upgrades

Tommy Boy
This post is 4805 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all. I own a 1995 SR125.

I'm looking in to upgrading my headlamp. I've glimpsed at just replacing the bulb but after turning to a friend he's told me that they tend to blow and can melt the wiring and pointed me in the direction of costly conversion kits. He only has experience with car lights though.

I've looked into both options and am not sure which road to follow. I've read a few posts on here that say people have simply replaced bulbs and that has worked wonders for them however i do like to do the job properly and am prepared to spend a little bit of money.

The direct replacement bulbs i have looked at are the H4 ones going for about £5 on ebay but I'm unsure whether they'll fit, or whether they'll last.

The conversion kits i've looked at are quite a bit more. Also I'm not sure whether they're compatible with an old 1995 SR125. Can any one shed some light on this topic?

I've read through a number of lighting threads now but i'm after something more specific to my SR. Has anyone else tried or looked into this with theirs? Do i go with a replacement bulb or conversion kit? And what bulb/kit is the best for my bike? Is it even worth my while?

All help is much appreciated.

Tom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Read the small print m8, they're not road legal and will fail an MOT as well as give an overly eager plod the chance to get his book out. Best place to ask is a Yamaha dealer (or so the plod told me when I enquired about their legality before putting them on my bike)

Yes I took note of the bit where it said it's for off road use only. However the legal limit for headlights are 55w and these are well within the limit at 35w.

Any other ideas on xenon lights or light upgrades for sr125's?

Ok after much digging i've discovered that all after market kits aren't exactly legal however the law do very little and don't really know the difference or how to check whether they have or have not been tested in a certified 'laboratory' in order to make them legal. So from what i've gathered i can say that you can get away with fitting the kit and not get bothered by the law.

Anyway to save myself that small risk, i;ve decided to go with the blue tinted philips bulbs instead however now i have a new issues - I have the old head light on my sr125. Does anyone know if the old headlamp can house the new three prong h4 bulbs through adaptation? I'm pretty sure the three wires going to the old bulb will wire straight up to the 3 spades ok but im more concerned with the bulbs seating. I've looked at buying the newer model head lamp but I don't think it will fit, what with the speedo being different ect.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online