rewiring tracker

drewpy
This post is 4805 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi peeps,

I'm rewiring the tracker from scratch and have a layout board to make a new loom.

Now I'm confused as to what size cable to buy. I'm looking at thinwall stuff to keep everything as tight as poss.

0.5mm is good for 11 amps

1mm good for 16.5 amps

I figure that's all i need as the highest amps is 15amps from the stator. 180watts/12volts = amps

have i under estimated this i.e. too close to its max rating?

any other info would be nice, like can i get bullet conectors to fit the thinner stuff?

cheers

Drewps

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi peeps,

I'm rewiring the tracker from scratch and have a layout board to make a new loom.

Now I'm confused as to what size cable to buy. I'm looking at thinwall stuff to keep everything as tight as poss.

1mm good for 16.5 amps

I figure that's all i need as the highest amps is 15amps from the stator. 180watts/12volts = amps

any other info would be nice, like can i get bullet conectors to fit the thinner stuff?

cheers

Drewps

Drewpy,

Check out the bit about wiring in my project, it was mainly 1.5mm stuff on mine ;)Oh and try Yambits for the bullet connectors on ebay, 2 packs covered all my needs

Hi peeps,

1mm good for 16.5 amps

cheers

Drewps

I wouldn't run so close to the max, leave a little room, with those numbers your not allowing any volt drop. I used 1mm minimum on the DT if for nothing else reliability. The weight difference in the wire is nothing. As far as keeping it tight thats down to planning. If you spend the time planning a good bare minimum loom and plan your switching and component locations you will not need much.

As to the bullet connectors, use standard off the shelf easy to get type and solder the smaller wires in only way to gaurantee good connections. Also your loom for your bike not a production line so keep it as complete as possible with as few connections as possible. Use solid solder connections with heat shrink over where your not likely to disturb them, then if you do need to break it. Quick stanly on the heat sleve and a touch with the iron and its disconnected.

all good pointers guys' I think I'll go 1 size up then and solder/heat shrink the connections, cause that sounds like a good idea and very neat.

I need to rewire the stator completly and thay have this cloth binding with sring and glue stuff. is it worth stripping that or just solder next to it.

0a061131.jpg

the wires are dodgy just inside the rubber grommet

Drewpy there are different crimp tools, sone are just crap and kind of just crush the connector to the wire, others form the joint much better by looping each end around. I have one and can post it but its at work and i'm off until next wednesday.

Drewpy there are different crimp tools, sone are just crap and kind of just crush the connector to the wire, others form the joint much better by looping each end around. I have one and can post it but its at work and i'm off until next wednesday.

cool OG thanks, I'm off next week on hols anyway, back week Saturday (5th August). I'll need one to attched connectors to the TCI etc!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online