DT125R Hyper acceleration!

Dean_DT
This post is 4803 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps,

now i dont know much about what has been done to my DTR other than a full Bigone system, and im 99% the PV ( non servo) has been pinned open.

I know most people would say im being a big girl, but am new to bikes and the way the power comes in at 6k is just BRUTAL! Far too animalistic for someone with very little skills or confidence on a bike! My mates CRF250 ( an before anyone says it, theres nothing wrong with it!) doesnt pull as hard as the DT does when it comes on the power at the mo!

Plus tbh id prefer some power a bit lower down for using it around town etc when i start using it as my main transport.

Do i just take it out, and flip the metal arm back 180 degrees counter-clockwise to put it back to factory position?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

turn it clockwise a bit, try about 10 degrees at a time and test it out until youte happy, max about 30 degrees at a guess. Can you work out a way of fixing it in the new position? is the pulley on there? and is it fixed somehow at present?

From the very little info i can find online about the non servo type PV, its normally fixed in by a pin/screw in the closed position. id guess mine has been turned 180 degrees clockwise already and pinned, thinking maybe i could find somewhere in between where it should bem, and where it is now, then make my own hole for it and pin it say halfway?

I just need a bit more oomph below 6k, and not so much neck snapping above it would be nice!

Not taken it off yet fella. As for a pulley i dont think there is, there is no cables or anything on this type of PV. they came into the country permanently fixed closed so no servo, pulley or anything.

Not taken it off yet fella. As for a pulley i dont think there is, there is no cables or anything on this type of PV. they came into the country permanently fixed closed so no servo, pulley or anything.

Thing is Dean I dont know how they were fixed. I am assuming the pulley is on there and that there is a pin through th 'U' shaped cut out into the hole behind. You need to check that out really to get an understanding of what you have. someone may know how it's done...I dont as mine has a working PV ;)

Yup im pretty sure your right on the money there OG, sure i read that there is a cutout for the pin. so in theory all id need to do would be to find the happy medium and then cut a new slot in to pin it in place?

Yup im pretty sure your right on the money there OG, sure i read that there is a cutout for the pin. so in theory all id need to do would be to find the happy medium and then cut a new slot in to pin it in place?

Have a look mate you may find the elusive new hole there already.

If it isnt then just turn it and test it as I said, clockwise...a bit at a time. When your happy either drill (carefully) a new blind hole or make something that will attach into the full open hole and reach to the new position. Yuu may even find that if it has a pulley then perhaps you could place a piece of thick rubber over the pulley face and hold it in place with the cover?? dunno just a guess but it doesnt involve any drilling or pitfalls?

yeah i will. first things first its going back in the original factory position! once iv rode the bike a few times and got used to it i can tweak it up a bit, its just pretty much unrideable for me at the mo, every time it hots the powerband i think im gonna come straight off the back! :lol:

Ok so had a play with this today, to be honest i dont know if what i did was exactly the right way to do it, but it seems to have made some difference, i now have more go low down and power comes in around 3.5/4k rpm. Wont be able to test it properly until sat but will update then!

Basically i took housing off which contains the lock pin. span the valve back 180 degrees, flipped housing to match pin location, and reassembled.

Only thing that concerned me is that the housing now doesnt line up with the casing as it looks like it should, ie it looks like it is now 180degrees out, whereas if i had returned it to factory, surely it would have looked out before, and be right now??

Either wasy, it seems to have had the desired effect so i shall leave it alone for now and test it out saturday. if it doesnt work properly i will go through the owners manual and set everything up properly again, autolube, carb,plug,throttle,chain etc etc so bike is 100% as it should be and should in theory be better eh...

:P

Heh add another 30hp to that kick in the arse at 6k and you have the TDR250. Better than any drug, :lol::lol:B)

TDR250 is what i want next year..... :) Just at the mo im trying to get used to riding the bike, slow speed controls and manoeuvres etc but with sod all power until you kick the arse out of it its gonna be rather difficult! :lol:

TDR250 is what i want next year..... :) Just at the mo im trying to get used to riding the bike, slow speed controls and manoeuvres etc but with sod all power until you kick the arse out of it its gonna be rather difficult! :lol:

Your welcome to try and find a good one, be advised though they fall firmly in the 'For experienced users only' category. And they don't last, are unreliable, are rare and engine parts esp are expensive. Otherwise there great.

I do wonder if the pv and cdi wouldn't work on your DT with some persuation though.

Your welcome to try and find a good one, be advised though they fall firmly in the 'For experienced users only' category. And they don't last, are unreliable, are rare and engine parts esp are expensive. Otherwise there great.

I do wonder if the pv and cdi wouldn't work on your DT with some persuation though.

Dean keep your eye out for a 3wire servo, not a 5 wire, with cables and pulley, plus cable casing on ebay, they do pop up now and again, but make sure you get the 3 wire, as a 5 wire servo, will deffo not work.

The servo mounting is already there on your bike, just underneath the coil, you plug in the black / yellow from the CDI into the black / yellow

wire on the servo, and the 2 wire female block connector (one brown, one black wire)that should be floating around somewhere near your coil, that's doing nowt, that connects to the male bullet connectors on the servo, you'll need to play about with the cable and pulley slackness, but it's not too difficult.

Ball park price for the set up around £80 ish, but just getting the 3 wire servo motor is a start, then work from there.

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers guys, am watching ebay for a servo setup so hopefully turn one up sooner or later :)

I wasnt happy that what id done yesterday was any good,as the valve cover was on 180deg out of where it should have been so i pulled the Cover off again and had another look. figured i was better off dropping the exhaust off so i could actually see what was what. I put the PV into its fully open position, then wound it back 180 degrees and bolted it all back up. Absolutely spot on :)

Ok so its now back to being pretty restricted, (at least there's no further restrictions due to the exhaust setup) but for me thats just what i want for now. a bike i can get used to riding on without having to thrash the arse off it to get it going!

Cheers guys, am watching ebay for a servo setup so hopefully turn one up sooner or later :)

I wasnt happy that what id done yesterday was any good,as the valve cover was on 180deg out of where it should have been so i pulled the Cover off again and had another look. figured i was better off dropping the exhaust off so i could actually see what was what. I put the PV into its fully open position, then wound it back 180 degrees and bolted it all back up. Absolutely spot on :)

Ok so its now back to being pretty restricted, (at least there's no further restrictions due to the exhaust setup) but for me thats just what i want for now. a bike i can get used to riding on without having to thrash the arse off it to get it going!

Wise move, it takes a certain knack to get a peeky 2 stroke performing properly. Its all about looking ahead and picking the right gear at the right moment, with only 2- 2 1/2 thosand rpm of power you have to get it right all the time, its intense but also rewarding.

Unfortunately it also takes experience to get it right, you are probably not that down on power either with the valve rolled back. A lot of the time the reason the kick feels so huge is because there is bugger all to start with.

Fair play to you, B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online