Battery, reg/rec issue

Kelum
This post is 4675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I put a new battery while ago and drove for a week, but suddenly lights went flickering and I removed the battery to find out all the acid in it gone.

I filled distilled water into cells and had to ride for a week or so refilling when the fluid level went down, I didnt rev engine too much during this period as I had guessed the rec/reg was faulty.

I put a new rec/reg and checked voltage regulation with multimeter. It was working. But the lights specially headlight and front signal lights were and are still very dim. But self-starter working.

One night however when I was riding, all the lights went off..nothing was functioning, horn was very week and I felt misfires in the engine..so the ignition system too was struggling. I refitted the reg/rec socket and the problem solved.

However the lights and signal etc very weak. Starter working. I checked all the connectors they are ok...I checked voltage regulation by rectifier today at battery terminals and THE BATTERY VOLTAGE NEVER GOES UP..MULTIMETER SHOWS 11.65V all the time...I checked white wires coming from stator and they dont have shorts to crankcase and they have a good AC flow. I have assumed following.

01. Reg/rec regulating the voltage, means its functioning properly as it heats up and charges the battery. The white wires too heat up during engine run.

02. Battery has become too weak..it doesnt charge well, it doesnt even reach 12 V...may be the acid is not strong...

What should I do to strengthen up the battery? no means to check specific gravity, should I pour out some of the remaining liquid in battery and put some sulfuric?

Please help guys, I think battery is damaged during my rides with earlier non-functioning reg/rectifier..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I removed existing battery fluid, added some egg shells to see the strength of the fluid, verrrry weak bubbling...what a way to check acid strength when a hydrometer isnt around :P

I refilled the battery with sulfuric acid..voltage rised up to 11.8..now a bit strong but when reving still the voltage remains same..

Battery or reg/rectifier..what if I charge the battery first? :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online