dtr won't start

jony9
This post is 4795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi lads its been a while since i have tried anything with my bike coz of lack of funds. but had some money last week so started to try and get it started. right took the head off and the barrel didn't need a re bor but the head needed to be put back straight. the piston was fine too all looked good apart from the gaskets so bought new topend gasket set. but when we were putting the head and barrel back on the engine we noticed that down the crank we could see it was full of water should there be water in the crank?? Please help. thanx jon.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

.......... we noticed that down the crank we could see it was full of water should there be water in the crank?? Please help. thanx jon.

Of course it shouldnt jon. when you loosened the head...didnt you drain the coolant first?

No i didn't. to be honest i am new to bikes. what will i have to do now. thanx for replying so fast.

you will have to get the water out. I have never done it nor seen it done...perhaps google it?

im thinking a syringe with some tubing attached...fish tank air pump type tubing...that would be about the right size. Get it all out every last drop then give it a good spray with WD40. Then maybe leave it for a day...maybe not before rebuilding.

When i had dunked the DT on greenlanes the normal practice was to stand the bike on its back wheel and crank it over a few times with the kicker, minus the plug of course. (What trees are for in the country :D )

Take the bung out the bottom of the carb and dump the float contents then start it back up. Does tend to knacker your crank seals though.

So all in some coolant in the cases is nowt to fret on. If it was in the gearbox its self, that would be a much bigger issue.

How easy is it to take the engine out?

Go back to your other thread jony mate ;)

Still no joy. its really starting to get to me now i thought dtrs were bullet proof. i just don't want to throw more money at a bike i have never seen working.

Still no joy. its really starting to get to me now i thought dtrs were bullet proof. i just don't want to throw more money at a bike i have never seen working.

jont stick to one thread like NEV says, you have two on the go!! Post it in the other it has more replies ;)

Oh and that statement doesnt hep much at all, I'm closing this topic now...use your other

This post is 4795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.