6th gear on Dragstar?

Elvantin
This post is 4735 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents, do you know anybody who put a 6th gear on a xvs 1100? If yes, how he made that?

I've heard a lot of rumours about that but none of them came concretely with a sketch or something.

Maybe you guys can help. I would really like to make/add a 6th gear to my Dragstar (V-star - USA)

10x

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just my two cents - another way to increase your gearing is to put on a taller rear tire if it will fit.

On my Virago 250, I went from a 130/90-15 to a 140/90-15 and this increased the gearing about 3%.

Just my two cents - another way to increase your gearing is to put on a taller rear tire if it will fit.

On my Virago 250, I went from a 130/90-15 to a 140/90-15 and this increased the gearing about 3%.

I wonder what gearing has to do with the final transmission. Gearbox is one thing, wheels are an other thing. You can't increase gearing by mounting an wider tire on the rear wheel.Gearbox

I wonder what gearing has to do with the final transmission. Gearbox is one thing, wheels are an other thing. You can't increase gearing by mounting an wider tire on the rear wheel.Gearbox

Simple maths - 130/90 on a 15 inch rim has a diameter of 615mm (381 rim, 234 tyre), giving a rolling circumference of 1932mm, a 140/90 on the same rim is 633 diameter (381 plus 252), 1988.6mm circ. So every turn of the wheel takes you 56mm further, about a 3% hike in overall gearing.

As for the OP's question - is it possible? Is there room in the gearbox for another pair of cogs with all the associated dogs'n'stuff? Would've thought you'd need to slim down the existing set to make room, which could lead to a pretty weak box. Unless there's a 6-speed cluster from another bike that would be a simple(ish) swap ..... ?

Simple maths - 130/90 on a 15 inch rim has a diameter of 615mm (381 rim, 234 tyre), giving a rolling circumference of 1932mm, a 140/90 on the same rim is 633 diameter (381 plus 252), 1988.6mm circ. So every turn of the wheel takes you 56mm further, about a 3% hike in overall gearing.

As for the OP's question - is it possible? Is there room in the gearbox for another pair of cogs with all the associated dogs'n'stuff? Would've thought you'd need to slim down the existing set to make room, which could lead to a pretty weak box. Unless there's a 6-speed cluster from another bike that would be a simple(ish) swap ..... ?

Aha, understood. Now, an other question: I have and 170/80/r15 tire on my rear wheel. Do you guys know if an 180/80/r15 would fit in?

Thanks!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online