First time biker

This post is 4810 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

Finally decided to scratch the itch i have had since i was 16 and buy myself a bike! more financially motivated than anything else tbh, but even diesel costs in my 45mpg van are painful at the present time!

Bought myself a 1989 Yamaha DT 125, this one to be precise:

newbike.jpg

newbike2.jpg

Dont know much about it tbh, plenty of forum searching to be done!

Not really ridden a bike ( succesfully anyway! ) before, but took it for a spin down the road last night and was pretty shocked at how hard the power comes in! Hoping to get it off road this weekend get me some practice and get used to the bike.

Anyways, sure you'll all hear plenty of stupid questions from me sometime soon!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys,

Finally decided to scratch the itch i have had since i was 16 and buy myself a bike! more financially motivated than anything else tbh, but even diesel costs in my 45mpg van are painful at the present time!

Bought myself a 1989 Yamaha DT 125, this one to be precise:

newbike.jpg

newbike2.jpg

Dont know much about it tbh, plenty of forum searching to be done!

Not really ridden a bike ( succesfully anyway! ) before, but took it for a spin down the road last night and was pretty shocked at how hard the power comes in! Hoping to get it off road this weekend get me some practice and get used to the bike.

Anyways, sure you'll all hear plenty of stupid questions from me sometime soon!

Hi Dean, tidy bike you have there mate, it's the DT125R btw, I have a 92' model I'm doing up at the minute, it's in the project section, incase you need any pointers? Plus theres plenty of other lads in here with DT's that will be more than helpful to answer any questions you might have. ride safe

Cheers for that Nev, ill be sure to take a look at your thread, i need all the pointers i can get tbh!

I have a good mate who has been into bikes for 30 odd years, he is giving the bike a once over for me, but we've both been out on it and he reckons its decent enough. needs few small bits like new grips, new clutch cable and lever, and a general service/tune as its a bit wooly at low revs, but hopefully we'll have that sorted for the weekend and i can see what the bike ( and me) can do!

Cheers for that Nev, ill be sure to take a look at your thread, i need all the pointers i can get tbh!

I have a good mate who has been into bikes for 30 odd years, he is giving the bike a once over for me, but we've both been out on it and he reckons its decent enough. needs few small bits like new grips, new clutch cable and lever, and a general service/tune as its a bit wooly at low revs, but hopefully we'll have that sorted for the weekend and i can see what the bike ( and me) can do!

The 'woolly' bit at low revs, probably means your manual powervalve is pinned on 'open' not much poke until you reach around 7k revs, then whoosh, big kick up the backside jobby, but your mate will probably explain it better.

Welcome Dean to the YOC B)

Best of luck with the bike Dude !

Now that you have it, dont go messin arround with everythink on it,,,,,,,,,, ok so you need grips, clutch cable and whatever small bits,,,,,,,,get them and leave it at that.

Ride the bike for say 3 weeks,,,,,,,,see how it goes,,,,,,,,,then when you have more understanding of what you want outa the bike, get back to us.

If after the 3 weeks you are going to be learning on it then you May need to do something with the Power Valve for the slow riding and less throttle positions.

Get out and enjoy the think first,,,,,,,,,,,see how ya go,,,,,,,,,,,,,then you can tinker with things if needs be.

B) B) B)

Stay safe.

Good advice there :) gonna have plenty of time riding it before i do too much as i have v5 to sort out and mot/tax it, buy my gear, oh and do a cbt! haha

gonna get as much practice in as poss off road before cbt so im nice an confident

Good advice there :) gonna have plenty of time riding it before i do too much as i have v5 to sort out and mot/tax it, buy my gear, oh and do a cbt! haha

gonna get as much practice in as poss off road before cbt so im nice an confident

do you do CBT on your own bike then, might be tricky with a wide open PV (no bottom end power) . I know were making assumptions here at the moment!

do you do CBT on your own bike then, might be tricky with a wide open PV (no bottom end power) . I know were making assumptions here at the moment!

Im not sure tbh, i think most places like you to ride their bikes, havent looked into it in much detail yet!

Gave the bike a quick once over today, put some gearbox oil in, adjusted the clutch cable a touch, lubed the chain, bent the gear selector out a bit to suit my oversized feet a bit better, replaced a couple of knackered bolts etc etc. Need a new battery as its gone flat already, and once i have batt power i can sort the lights and check the PV situation out. Also bought myself a lid for this weekends antics :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online