I think its my solenoid...but...

RyGuy
This post is 4815 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

My xs400 was starting up and running fine until recently when the starter motor began to make a loud grinding noise inside the crankcase anytime i depressed the starter button. It would silence a bit if I attempted to start the bike without choking it, but then it began grinding when i did this as well. Feeling adventurous I detached the starter motor wire from it's terminal on the solenoid and removed the starter motor from my bike. It appeared that the sprocket had come off of the motor's armature and fallen into the crankcase. I opened up the case, fished out the sprocket and put everything back together, reattaching the chain to the sprocket, closing the crankcase and finishing by reconnecting the starter motor's wire back to its terminal on the solenoid

I thought that was it...

But the bike wouldn't start, and iit still wont. In fact it doesnt make a sound, other than a clicking noise from the solenoid. I thought the battery might need to be charged, so I charged it 100% and tried again. Turned the key on, lights came on, pressed the starter button and still nothing but a clicking solenoid. I tried to use the bike's kick start, but after 4 failed attempts, the lights were almost too dim to see and the battery was dead. I double checked my owners manual and repair manual and everything was rewired properly, just as it was before.

Im exhausted and confused and in need of wisdom. Where do I go from here? Is my solenoid bad?

Many many thanks in advance,

Ry

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the battery's flat after just a couple of button presses and a few kicks, it's probably knackered, regardless of whether it will charge up. Beg, steal or borrow a known good battery and see what happens...

Or you've got some really crappy earths ...

If the battery's flat after just a couple of button presses and a few kicks, it's probably knackered, regardless of whether it will charge up. Beg, steal or borrow a known good battery and see what happens...

Or you've got some really crappy earths ...

cant argue with that, the battery has been around for awhile. Ill try another battery for sure though it seems to deplete faster when i use the kickstart. when i press the starter button the solenoid just "clicks. None of this happened before i took the starter out. Could i have messed with my earths? can you short out/fry your solenoid?

breaking news: its alive! :D :D :D

I jumped it with a portable jump-start box i borrowed from a friend. the solenoid is tip top, but this means my battery isnt up to snuff. It will be getting replaced soon.

I appreciate the swift reply. many thanks,

Ry

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online