RXS 100 starts BUT...

jodam
This post is 4728 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey. So I just got a 1991 Yamaha rxs 100. I love it. I'm keeping it standard, but I thought the oil pump was over oiling, so I took to it and adjusted it. Someone had added way too many shims in.

Then, I took to the Carb and just cleaned it out really.

Everything is back on now and when I start the bike it revs straight up at 7-8,000 rpm.

I know the obvious thing to check would be the idling screw but I've done that. Whether I screw or unscrew it, it doesn't make a difference.

Whats the next thing that might be wrong?

The pilot screw is 1 1/4 out... I"m struggling to think of what the problem may be, any help would be very much appreciated.

THANKS

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most likely you put the carb slide in backwards...... :rolleyes:

Now introduce yourself in the proper area of the forum so we know who you are.

Most likely you put the carb slide in backwards...... :rolleyes:

Now introduce yourself in the proper area of the forum so we know who you are.

cant get them in backwards on a single cylinder bike jason, theres only a slot in one side of the slide, however obviously if you try hard enough you can get the carb top on with the throttle wide open because pin and slot are not aligned

yes as usual a problem and no intro? 'New Members' forum

cant get them in backwards on a single cylinder bike jason, theres only a slot in one side of the slide, however obviously if you try hard enough you can get the carb top on with the throttle wide open because pin and slot are not aligned

Yeah you know what i mean, on several of my old bikes it was easy to put the slide in wrong, really not hard at all if you didn't check that it slid properly on the guide.

yes as usual a problem and no intro? 'New Members' forum

Alright. I think that is my problem. I need to align the pin and slot... I will look at my manual and check to see what I'm doing!

Many thanks peeps.

I put a brief intro in the new members forum!

I'll keep you posted

As og say's I don't think you can put the slide in wrong on a single but as cynic say's it is possible to cross the slides over on the twin cylinders like the RD and LC's. Just make sure when you put the slide in that the cutaway in the slide faces back towards the airbox . When you say you removed some shims from the pump did you actually measure the minimum stroke of the pump or just take some shims out because there looked too many in there? Usually when set the pump stroke rarely needs adjusting. Also regarding the high revs make sure the throttle cable hasn't come out of the junction box.

You can put it in wrong tone, back to front then the angled section on the slide designed to rest on the idle screw rests on the guide pin and the slide stays right at the top of the carb body and hey presto flat out on start up.

Hi!

So yes, I think I put the throttle mechanism facing the wrong way into the carb. Now it has been working right.

Regarding the oil pump, I did actually measure and it was well over the specified distance. So I took some out. It was going through oil like crazy...

The fumes coming out of the exhaust are still very smokey, even after it is warmed up and such, so I wonder if inside the engine oil is leaking in and some rings and such need replacing.

It's my only form of transport at the moment so I'll have to save that for another time. Otherwise I'm really happy with this bike!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. Really helpful.

Hi!

So yes, I think I put the throttle mechanism facing the wrong way into the carb. Now it has been working right.

Regarding the oil pump, I did actually measure and it was well over the specified distance. So I took some out. It was going through oil like crazy...

The fumes coming out of the exhaust are still very smokey, even after it is warmed up and such, so I wonder if inside the engine oil is leaking in and some rings and such need replacing.It's my only form of transport at the moment so I'll have to save that for another time. Otherwise I'm really happy with this bike!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. Really helpful.

Coud be the right hand crank seal, check your gearbox oil for the smell of petrol and keep a check of the oil level in there