spluttering!

This post is 4813 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi!!

just bought a dtr125 2003. there's no pattern just does it as and when it likes, some times when pulling away or when your in 3rd gear reaching 8rpm!

always random, the previous owner did say it hasn't been serviced for a while. so tomorrow i'll give her a full serivce!

it also has a aftermarket exhuast on it, so would i need to check that it's jetting ok? but surely the previous owner would of sorted this as it's been owned by the guy from new! and by the looks of the exhuast it's been on there a few years!

thanks

josh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi!!

just bought a dtr125 2003. there's no pattern just does it as and when it likes, some times when pulling away or when your in 3rd gear reaching 8rpm!

always random, the previous owner did say it hasn't been serviced for a while. so tomorrow i'll give her a full serivce!

it also has a aftermarket exhuast on it, so would i need to check that it's jetting ok? but surely the previous owner would of sorted this as it's been owned by the guy from new! and by the looks of the exhuast it's been on there a few years!

thanks

josh

Bin the spark plug josh and get two more, one for the bike and one for your jacket pocket

i take it these need replacing reguarly then paul??

thanks

josh

no mate not at all, especially with autolube pump bikes but it's a cheap and easy way to start with your spluttering 'problem', with 2 strokes it's always wise to carry a spare.

Another easy thing to do is...providing there is enough length in your HT cable, unscrew the HT cap...chop off around 12mm from the end of the HT lead and re-fit the HT cap.

no mate not at all, especially with autolube pump bikes but it's a cheap and easy way to start with your spluttering 'problem', with 2 strokes it's always wise to carry a spare.

Another easy thing to do is...providing there is enough length in your HT cable, unscrew the HT cap...chop off around 12mm from the end of the HT lead and re-fit the HT cap.

hi agian paul, i tried the new plug and it made no difference. they didn't have any BR9ES's so he gave me a BR8ES and said it would run better with the dep can?

it hasn't got any better or worse!

so, i went to a mate and he rode the bike and he suggested that i clean/change the air filter. so me and a friend tried to clean it, but it just fell apart!! i did give it a quick plip up the road with no filter and i went really well! not 100% but at least 90%, still spluttered a little but nowhere near as bad!

so with the no filter we tried making up one out of sponge but the bike wouldn't run properly, then we but a cloth over the inlet under the seat but it wouldn't run, this was only temp so i could get it to the bike shop tomorrow. so i'm hoping i can pick up a filter tomorrow and it'll all be ok??

another thing i've noticed is that there's a very faint knocking nosie coming from the head, my friend said it's normal but i'm a bit unsure?

i've made a video of it running if you take a quick look?

any help would be great, as i'm getting very worried now :(

thanks, josh

Its difficult to hear through the exhaust note Josh but if you cover the silencer with your hand you will be able to hear the knocking more clearly...If it is you should replace the small end bearing because they dont last forever.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online