Fitting new grips on my XVS650 Drag Star

Backon2wheels
This post is 4640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I decided I was competent enough to replace the ageing rubber grips on my XVS650 Dragstar.

I bought a set from Vyxxn (http://www.vyxxn.co.uk/catalog/sundance-handlebar-p-2313-bm-2135.html?osCsid=0daccbcd1b6ad5f7aa1bc4025b07427b) but am having trouble fitting them and am not sure if I'm just being stupid or not.

My old grips were fairly simple black rubber with a chrome end bar and collar. I unscrewed the chrome end bar, cut off the rubber grip and removed the chrome collar but whilst I can get the new grip over the screw end (where teh end bar was) I can not get it onto the throttle bar as this has long ridges down the length of it and teh bar simply isnt big enough to get over them. Should I be removing the black throttle grip too, essentially exposing the metal handlebar (if so I'm not sure how the throttle would work) or do you think the grips are simply not suitable for my bike.

I've attached a few photos of the old grip, new grip an the throttle bar after the old grip has been removed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pat

th_GRPCHSUN1.jpg

PicSample1310808858000.jpg

PicSample1310808890000.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pat they are different internal diameter arent they, sure your trying the right one?

Do not remove or damage the black plastic throttle grip or you wont be 'going anywhere fast' ;)

You will have to remove the silver bar end on the laft side like you did the right, looks like the new grips have fancy chrome closed ends so wont be able to go over this.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I got two bars in the package. A 25mm for the left hand bar and a 28mm for the right.

Thanks for confirming not to try to remove the black throttle grip. That could have been a disaster!

I've not done anything with the left hand one yet as I cant get the right one sorted. By the sounds of it, the grips are simply too narrow for the bike and might have to be returned, after I glue the old grip back on again. Bugger!

Cheers

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I got two bars in the package. A 25mm for the left hand bar and a 28mm for the right.

Thanks for confirming not to try to remove the black throttle grip. That could have been a disaster!

I've not done anything with the left hand one yet as I cant get the right one sorted. By the sounds of it, the grips are simply too narrow for the bike and might have to be returned, after I glue the old grip back on again. Bugger!

Cheers

It's a great shame you cut it off you could have gotten it off without damaging it!

Take the grips and your bike back to the shop...perhaps they will fit them?

By the way it would be a tight fit you know or the gripp would slip abaout on the throttle body...fitting would also be a straight push on...not a twist and push in any way.

When you get the right size grips, try fitting them using Hairspray (No, I'm not joking, the strongest hold stuff you can get is what you want) When you spray the Hairspray onto the bars it lubricates the surface and makes the rubber easier to slip on, don't hang about though, it dries quite quickly and if you're not finished you'll have to re-do it. it's easy enough to remove if you get it wrong first time, certainly easier than convertional glues. Once it dries, it provides an effective glue to prevent the grips moving around on the bars.

Just to expand slightly - The black plastic bit on your right bar is the 'throttle slider'. The throttle cables attach directly to this and it's this bit that you're twisting to make the throttle work.

You can get replacements but, of course, it's much better if you don't have to!! ;)

Hairspray = good idea!!

Many thanks for all your replies. The vendor who supplied the grips tried to fit a set himself today and has confirmed that for these to fit, teh throttle slider has to be replaced also, which he is sending me, SO, any ideas how I chnage this as it doesnt look too obvious how it comes off and i cant find anything in the haynes manual. I'm always concern I'm gonna bugger the thing up so like to ask :)

Many thanks for all your replies. The vendor who supplied the grips tried to fit a set himself today and has confirmed that for these to fit, teh throttle slider has to be replaced also, which he is sending me, SO, any ideas how I chnage this as it doesnt look too obvious how it comes off and i cant find anything in the haynes manual. I'm always concern I'm gonna bugger the thing up so like to ask :)

The slider's retained inside the kill-switch unit. Just a couple of screws underneath to split the halves of this, then it's fairly obvious what's what. Remember to lubricate the new slider in the switch unit with a dob of grease before putting it all back together.

You're welcome.

The slider's retained inside the kill-switch unit. Just a couple of screws underneath to split the halves of this, then it's fairly obvious what's what. Remember to lubricate the new slider in the switch unit with a dob of grease before putting it all back together.

You're welcome.

some throttles have two cables too, these are a bit more tricky. you may have to slack off the adjusters in order to relase the cable nipples from the throttle body too...might be best to get the fella to fit the bloody thing for you!

some throttles have two cables too, these are a bit more tricky. you may have to slack off the adjusters in order to relase the cable nipples from the throttle body too...might be best to get the fella to fit the bloody thing for you!

The 650 does have 2 cables.

Fairly straight-forward. There will be one you can fit easy as, then turn the throttle (thus pulling the cable open) to fit the other. It should then spring back into the closed position.

Here's a guide to changing the handlebars on the 1300 http://www.1300tourer.com/node/6264 - half way through there are detailed pictures of removing the grips (inc thottle) and then later on how to install new grips and throttle body. Hopefully it will help you make sense of your setup.

Graham

Thank you one and all for all your help, advice and comments.

As suggested it was an issue with the throttle slider being too wide due to the raised ridges. The supplier tried to fit a set himself and found the same issue so sent me a new throttle slider which didnt have the ridges and after some tweeking, fiddling and mild swearing I got them on and they look good, so I'm pelased with them!

I've kept the old throttle slider in case I ever decide to put standard grips back on

• 3 weeks later...

Hang onto the original handgrips. I have had my right side end cap unscrew itself and lost it somewhere. $46nz for a new one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online