SR 125 was a little rough when started up

This post is 4819 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just picked up a 2006 Yamaha SR125. The bike was stood for about 6 months, but apparently (according to seller) without fuel in and undercover etc. as I was advised to ask. I asked them to see if it was running before I took it off their hands as I don't have a lot of experience (2nd bike, very much a newbie).

He ensured me it had been running fine, and i picked it up. Now he did tell me the battery was dead so he had to bump start it, but again no big deal. Also there was some fuel in the tank that he said was no more than a week old and would be fine.

Charged the battery and tried to fire her up, and nothing. So did a bit of research online and tried again, full choke, no throttle, and after a few tries she splutters in to life.

At first it was running very rough, but after about 10 minutes of playing with the choke and throttle (and a few cut outs and retries) she's up and running. (after figuring out it wouldn;t go in to gear with the stand down) took her for a little spin around the back street by my house and she's lovely. Not had any trouble since, she starts up and runs off the button with a little choke to get the engine warmed.

So, my question is, would this spluttery rough beginning to it's life be indicative of an underlying problem, or a common thing for a bike that's been stood for a while.

Sorry for the Essay, but thought it best to give some detail straight off the bat, thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:thumb:

Good to know, just didn't wanna take it down for an MOT or start riding it out if it was going to explode and die on me.

I'm off to the garage now to start stripping paint. Will post some photos later tonight (if i don't end up in the pub)

Thanks for your help, and warm welcome across the forum, gonna stick around i reckon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online