xt500 non starter

fzrwidowmaker
This post is 4642 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello all

I think I might have broken it ! my xt500 , barn find , 6000 miles . fitted new exhaust valve , coil , filters . Can't get a spark to save my life , getting depressed now , please does any one have any idea's .bike is 1981 , point's and condenser no cdi unit . 6 volt so it should be easy , no , my right leg is killing me , help needed .

thank,s in advance for any assistance .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

and so simple (so the points fraternity tell me). carry out proper checks of the wiring. Kill switch faults are favourate assuming you've gapped the points and set the timing properly.

Technique is everything when starting these.

Me showing how to start a big single - same engine as the XT500 - but with electronic ignition.

It goes without saying to make sure the points are opening and closing correctly when you kick the bike over,

check correct gap on the points if there old put some new ones in

maybe add a new condenser

check that the coil is earthed correctly

make sure the cut out switch isnt faulty ( earthing out the points )

same applies for the main switch

check there is some power going to the coil when you kick the bike over

My guess is that if you havnt fitted new points & condenser its probably them.

If all fails bring it up to my house for a week.

TTB :D

hey i love these things

take plug out to start with don't worry about starting untill you have a spark or you have no leg or foot left

clean block connecters from engine to loom clean the coils where they ground to frame then...

while looking directly at the contact breakers (dim the lights or late in the evening if outside) turn the engine over (easy now no plug) and see if you get a blue spark arc across the the breakers .

if none examine wiring (power)going into coil i think poss red/white if no power trace back to find out why (at this point try look for power while kicking over too) if you have power move forward checking each connection

good luck

Jez

hey i love these things

take plug out to start with don't worry about starting untill you have a spark or you have no leg or foot left

clean block connecters from engine to loom clean the coils where they ground to frame then...

while looking directly at the contact breakers (dim the lights or late in the evening if outside) turn the engine over (easy now no plug) and see if you get a blue spark arc across the the breakers .

if none examine wiring (power)going into coil i think poss red/white if no power trace back to find out why (at this point try look for power while kicking over too) if you have power move forward checking each connection

good luck

Jez

thank's all for the help , still no go . new coil fitted , how do I check for any power from magneto ?? as this is what i now suspect as being the fault , also how the heck do I remove the mag/ flywheel ? again thank's in advance , need this sorted as the summer is floating by and I still have to use my tin top all the time .!

thanks jules

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online