Carb and Fileter, Pump cleaning

Kelum
This post is 4696 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sri Lanka had imported a low quality petrol lot recently and it had water in petrol, if u take a sample from a gas station to a bottle there would be a water layer at the bottom. The lot was being distributed all around the country and many engines have gotten issues..government has cancelled paying for the supplier. But both supplier and the careless authorities are to blame.

Now in my xv125 I had a miss when I hit start button, engine would start normally and run 3-4 cycles and like it doesnt have fuel it would stop..I first got amazed on this and was very scared I have an engine problem. This went ok in few days and now it starts at my first button hit.

Yet it has a very strange miss in the engine when I ride..bike suddenly slowers and gains normal speed again (I was almost hit by the driver at my tail) I asked frnds of mine and they too have this strange miss..

Now my prob is, what harm can water in petrol cause to your engine, would a carb and filter cleanup do? Since water stays at the bottom and petrol on top, it should probably be blocking fuel supply to carb.

Does the xv250 service manual has steps to clean carb and pump and filter/fuel cock? are there seals or gaskets I should be careful not to damage?

I keep reading what water can do to ur engine...I know normally over the time fuel lines can have some water deposits. Is there a particular means or trick Yamaha has given to clean up carbs without removing? I saw in Indian bikes there is a bolt and a small hose running from carb bottom..xv125 having one?

I really appreciate ur opinion here people..thanks! :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

think the best thing to do would be to drain the petrol tank and let it dry out, you might get away with just doing that, but personally id flush the system with fuel.

once tank is dry half fill with good petrol, put on as normal, then on the carb u will have a drain screw, attach some pipe to the "hole" with the other end in some form of bowl to catch the fuel when it comes out. open the drain screw and turn the tank to prime and drain till the tank is dry, then take the float bowl off the carb (should be some left over water deposits) clean and put back on.

then fill the tank with the good fuel and run the engine for 10 min

should sort it out :D

Thanks Paul, once water deposits removed everything will be ok? :rolleyes:

should be when all the water has gone, just run the bike for 10 min then keep an eye on it when u ride it, should clear up in a week. you could go and dismantle the carb but any water would of sunk to the bottom where the drain screw is, and the flush should remove most if not all the water from the pipes. just dry the tank out properly (leave it to stand empty with the cap off and tap set to prime)

i feel sorry for the car drivers as its not so easy

Yeah many engines have faced severe issues here..some badly damaged..I really dont like letting mechanics toy with my carb and engine..I remember what one had done to the carb of my previous Honda Benly 125..he had put a different jet and didnt give me the original..didnt even tell me what he did...

What about fuel pump and cock Paul...I saw may be in the manual u could clear them too, fuel cock has a filter too right? :unsure:

the fuel cock has a filter on the inside of the tank, should be fine if you dry the tank out.

and the flush should sort the pump out, but you could undo the screws and open it up to wipe it clean, its not a complicated thing.

i dont trust mechanics but thats just me...(long story)...id rather have a play myself :D

Me too Paul I dont go to mechanics now..I do all the repairs now by looking at manual and web info. They scratch and damage my baby everytime ruthlessly..sometimes they know nothing of the technical stuff but just to remove and fit in..but telling lot of crazy stuff..they have a one protocol for all the bikes..I love my bike and I know nobody gives her the care I do...lemme work on it...I like your attitudes mate, my kinda man! I have bought multimeter and all the tools..Paul can u peep into my battery overcharge case too?