My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3580 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Cheers Beef,

I have just sent him a text to see if he can send me some pics of it. lets just hope my bike sells and i get a good amount of dosh to kick start this new project.

I have also e-mailed the chap up in Scotland with regards to a one off frame and that so hopefully i get a reply from them all soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well betty didn't sell on Ebay as the bloke was a complete C**t. so i chucked her on Auto Trader and i have loads of e-mails and phone calls about her so lets just hope i get a good price.

i doubt i will be able to afford a V-max sadly but none the less there are still plenty of good yammies out there that i can create a monster of a chop out of.

• 3 weeks later...

Well she didn't sell so i have decided to take her to the next level, im keeping her and going all out on her little arse!

I have really big plans for her but im keeping them mostly under my hat till i get the first bit done (which is going to be big) but i will have to let one thing leak out as i need your guys input first to see if i can do it.

Basically in order for me to do "some thing" i need to side mount the carbs so that the air filters are facing out wards but this is the thing...............can this be done? will i have to have the float chambers on the bottom? or will i have to leave the carbs mounted with the float chambers on the side how they are?

Cheers in advance

Well xt/wr addick has left us so I guess we'll have to figure it out ourself LMFAO

Just by the way the float works I don't think you can The float is in the side of the bowl so if you turn it then it won't be able to float.

I take it that you are intending on making a manifold for this relocate Why not make it a single carb a big fat 43mm flat slide fully mechanical with a excellerator pump.Should get you more than enough flow to feed the 650,hardley's feed 1340 with a single.

Does you carb have a tps?

Just a note long intake's loose bottom end torque

Well my step dad has a Hardly carb sitting in his shed i may try n see if i can get it to fit, but if i cant its not a drama as you have answered my question so i have come up with an even cooler way to fit them, and yes i will be fabricating a new manifold for it and also a nice bracket to fix it to the frame, (with rubber mounts of course)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i guess i will let the secret out now as im only waiting on the chap in Scotland to confirm that he is happy to do the work for me.

Here is the plan of action for betty in the coming year or so:

• Webber 40 DCOE side draft conversion
  • Dyna power commander
  • Dyan hot shot coils and HT leads
  • Iridium Spark plugs
  • One off frame from Scotland (see below picture)
  • Powder coat
  • King Sportster Fuel tank or the split tanks i have in the shed
  • Suicide clutch and hand shifter
  • Drag bars or clip ons
  • Small head light (got one in the shed)
  • Small Speedo
  • Rev gauge
  • Hard tail conversion
  • New exhausts

Some of these i can do quick ish but im going to get the frame done first so as that i can mock up where i want these bits to go with out it looking like a load of tosh. but its gunna take time to get these plans out of my head and on the road.

Stay tuned ;)

Modifiedframe.jpg

Oooh... should be interesting. :popcorn:

Yer i cant wait! But Sshhhhhhhh dont tell the missus!

Wish i could turbo it but i doubt i can. :(

Yer i cant wait! But Sshhhhhhhh dont tell the missus!

Hahaha! I don't have that problem... I am the missus. :eusa_shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

Right the new frame will be built next year, i finally found a chap down in Kent that will make me a complete one off frame to my liking and spec for £800, He also sells Springer forks too!!!! but he is fully booked up till next year so i have to wait, which aint a bad thing really as if gives me time to save up a few more pennies.

The Chaps name is Baz and is brilliant his web site is:

www.custombikefabrication.webs.com

I'm still not sure whether to run the suicide clutch and hand shifter or if i should get a set of old school inverted leavers? i seen a set on e-bay in gold and they look horny as feck! What say you guys?

personally I like the jockey shift. But I have no doubt it'll be brilliant whichever way you go. :thumb:

Well i have been pretending to ride the bike as if i had a hand sifter, well as far as putting my right foot down and holding the bike on the front brake as this is how i would have to pull away with a foot clutch. So far its going OK but hill starts are a bit of a cluster fuck lol

The thing is the look sexy as feck but so do the inverted leavers. O and i have been chatting to Baz who will be making my frame and we are in talks of making my rear fender into the exhaust! :spin2: nice warm ass on those frosty mornings!

• 1 month later...

Right a quick to do list for this winter. she is still on the road and i got caught out in a Hail storm yesterday when riding to my Karate grading which flipping hurt with my open faced lid.

I need to re-do my rear fender and its struts as they have sheared off and now the fender flaps about which aint doing it much good, and also need re-painting.

Need to re-do up the little nut on the throttle return cable as it keeps vibrating loose, so going to whack some stainless locking nuts on there.

May even go all hog and strip and re-build the motor with new gaskets and re-seat the valves and what not as i doubt this has ever been done and she has done just over 17K miles so it will be nice to give it an over haul.

Then hopefully i can get saving up to get this frame sorted for this time next year.

• 1 month later...

Bump, Sadly not much to report really as funds have dried up and every thing is really waiting on getting this frame built.

• 2 months later...

Right, time to make a decision. Now that i have the mini and its soon to be on the road i will be saving a fair bit of dosh so do i:

1) keep the 650 draggy and continue to create a one of bobber like ive been going on about. EG frame, hot shot coils, better ECU etc etc

2) save up, Sell the draggy and get either a Vmax or a different bigger CC bike to piss about with?

I just don't know which way to turn??? if i do keep the draggy i will be going all guns blazing once i have saved up, as said new frame, better coils and ECU, one off paint scheme, (poss candy pink and white) skinny rear tire conversion in stead of the fat rear tyre. Suicide clutch and hand shift the whole works.

• 1 month later...

Here we go then, ive made my mind up for good now, no more pissing about. Im keeping the draggy and doing more to her. inspired by Mr foamy and as previously said by another member im going to look at slapping a Turbo on her as the new CDI im getting will accommodate a turbo, along with the new hot shot coils.

Has anyone got any advise on installing a turbo?

So the shopping list will now be (when i get the funds)

New handle bars

New handle bar grips and controls

New rear fender (got one just needs more work)

Turbo and bits

New indicators

New rear light

New exhausts for the turbo etc

This winter i will be stripping the motor for a going over with new paint etc along with sort the paint out on the frame and getting this suicide clutch and shifter sorted, been holding that off for too long

huh? im an inspiration? :spin2:

Turbo will need a pressurised oil supply (find a gallery to tap in the block?) and a bit of plumbing, not sure how the carbs will respond to having a positive pressure in the airbox, could fuck up the fueling when running off-boost or cause it to run lean on-boost, hence why i am looking at the supercharging root or possibly changing to fuel injection

Yer I know it's shocking that you can inspire someonelol.

Ive seen on ebay an electric turbo thats only 3psi but it's all plug and play. Just need an inline fuse and switch to turn it on/off.