R1 idling little rough and hesitates...

TheSaffer
This post is 4821 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 2003 R1 with 43500miles on it has been serviced every 5000miles and had a oil and filter changed every 2-3k.

The bike started to idle a little rough (hunting) and I hoped the mechanic can sort it when it when for it's service. He told me that my injectors seems to be clogged and that I should try a fuel additive or get them cleaned, but then I won't have something to commute on...

I haven't had a chance to slap her around hard for a while now (just the London commute), I have noticed my exhaust is black inside and when I ride slowly I can swear I am smelling fuel...

I tried the ProLong injector cleaner, which seemed to work for a while, but hardly 500 miles later it's the same as before.

Now I have taken it to Woodford Motorcyles to get a service as I have read good things about them. The service is due tomorrow, but they have told me that they never heard of injectors needing cleaning before! WTF?

They said the injectors probably needs balancing...

What do you think?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They do possibly need cleaning and they do possibly need balancing. You can also have them flow tested. I'd be wary of any mechanic that said he didn't know injectors could be cleaned.

Hi again...

I got my bike back and I'll have to admit the bike runs much better now.

I have some Pro Long Injector cleaner at home and I will be adding that the weekend when I have time to go for a run.