starting fresh with a 1979 eleven special

BDW
This post is 4826 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just came into possession (real cheap) of a 1979 yamaha 1100 and there was no battery and not running. But I love the look the specs and the bike. Questions can I jump it? Since there was no battery there also was no cables to the battery left with the bike. So where to they hook to? I am assuming there is a ground that goes to the bottom of the tray and I found a red wire on the back that looks like it received the hot but I'm just guessing. Then what....

Bruce

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest martinread

Hi Bruce, I think what Drewpy is saying is that it would be nice if you said Hi and introduced your self only polite when you think about it!

Your best bet is to check that the fuses are ok before connecting the battery and then just attach them (red Pos Black Neg)and switch it on, if it catches fire or blows the fuses then it is a weekend with the multi meter to check for broken wires or blown fuses. If you turn the key and all the lights come on then it's a safe bet that the wiring is ok and fire it up, don't forget to fuel it and don't rev it's head off until it has time to settle. almost forgot CHANGE THE OIL and filters as soon as you can Yams don't like old oil with bits of metal and sludge floating about in it.

To all

My apologies, I was excited and forgot my manners. My name is Bruce and I live in central Ohio. I use to own a bike (xt250) and took it with me to Hawaii to live many years ago. Last night I did apply power and the some of lights came on, accessories, brakes and turn signals. I am getting power through the switch and I hear the relay click but no starter movement my guess I need to start with a multi-meter. If any one has an idea I would appreciate it.

Bruce

Guest martinread

Hi Bruce, Ok if your getting a "click" when you press the starter button then you have power (obviously) so try this first, take the starter off, should be 2 bolts, then undo the 2 long screw type bolts that hold it together and draw the end off, be careful as the whole insides can drop out (been there, done that)and check that the brushes are ok, if yours is anything like mine then you will find them both worn, local bike shop shold have them in stock, replace the brushes and it should turn over ok, while your inside check all the wiring to make sure it hasn't worn through anywhere. The earth is the most important so make sure it has a good contact to the frame/engine, no rust or crud around the seating. That should do it, Good luck.

Hi Bruce, Ok if your getting a "click" when you press the starter button then you have power (obviously) so try this first, take the starter off, should be 2 bolts, then undo the 2 long screw type bolts that hold it together and draw the end off, be careful as the whole insides can drop out (been there, done that)and check that the brushes are ok, if yours is anything like mine then you will find them both worn, local bike shop shold have them in stock, replace the brushes and it should turn over ok, while your inside check all the wiring to make sure it hasn't worn through anywhere. The earth is the most important so make sure it has a good contact to the frame/engine, no rust or crud around the seating. That should do it, Good luck.

Thanks, I will do and let you know and thanks again. Hopefully I will post pics as I turtle along.

Bruce

I just came into possession (real cheap) of a 1979 yamaha 1100 and there was no battery and not running. But I love the look the specs and the bike. Questions can I jump it? Since there was no battery there also was no cables to the battery left with the bike. So where to they hook to? I am assuming there is a ground that goes to the bottom of the tray and I found a red wire on the back that looks like it received the hot but I'm just guessing. Then what....

Bruce

BRUCE

ditto ... just joined the forum with the same situation. by the threads I've just read you have found where to hook up a battery. Like mine ... I assume your bike has been out of service for some time. Before trying to fire up the bike I would recommend going thru some carefull checking and replacing of fluids namely fuel and oil. I would also pull the plugs and put a little "Marvel Mystry Oil" into each cyclinder and crank it over a few times to make sure everything is moving as required and pre-oiled. Repeat as needed. I would also add some "Marvel Mystery Oil" to the NEW fuel -and/or- I like to use AMSOIL 100:1 Racing 2-Cycle mixed at about half the recommended amount per gal. In addition, I recommend having a hand held digital laser temperature guage (Harbor Freight @ about $40) so you can monitor the temp of each exhaust pipe (cylinder) as you warm up the engine to make sure it does not over heat and that the cylinders are about the same temp. If all this works I would recommend following the on-line recommendations for breaking in a new or rebuilt engine.

Any other good ideas or experience in this area of "resurrection" would be most welcome!

BRUCE

ditto ... just joined the forum with the same situation. by the threads I've just read you have found where to hook up a battery. Like mine ... I assume your bike has been out of service for some time. Before trying to fire up the bike I would recommend going thru some carefull checking and replacing of fluids namely fuel and oil. I would also pull the plugs and put a little "Marvel Mystry Oil" into each cyclinder and crank it over a few times to make sure everything is moving as required and pre-oiled. Repeat as needed. I would also add some "Marvel Mystery Oil" to the NEW fuel -and/or- I like to use AMSOIL 100:1 Racing 2-Cycle mixed at about half the recommended amount per gal. In addition, I recommend having a hand held digital laser temperature guage (Harbor Freight @ about $40) so you can monitor the temp of each exhaust pipe (cylinder) as you warm up the engine to make sure it does not over heat and that the cylinders are about the same temp. If all this works I would recommend following the on-line recommendations for breaking in a new or rebuilt engine.

Any other good ideas or experience in this area of "resurrection" would be most welcome!

Thanks great suggestions

Bruce

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online