grease

Mr Machinist
This post is 4832 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gday fellow Enginebike peoples.

Have a query...( no i don't know his name), looking through the DT 175 manual, it indicates that the crankshaft bearings and gearbox selector arms and gearbox bearings require greasing. now. the conundrum i have is this, grease and oil generally don't mix, can cause oxidisation and can turn your oil into a lapping paste ( free oversizing i believe it's called)... i have been known to be a touch cautious ( read paranoid) with bikes particularly the bottom end and box...( first box i have assembled and put together, normally never have to go past top end on my fours and two smokers). so long winded question... whos done it and have they had any dramas... it is a simple question but the possibilities are loaded :blink:<_< , I mean its an oil filled box surely the oil will provide adequate lube?

copyoulater

neil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Gday fellow Enginebike peoples.

Have a query...( no i don't know his name), looking through the DT 175 manual, it indicates that the crankshaft bearings and gearbox selector arms and gearbox bearings require greasing. now. the conundrum i have is this, grease and oil generally don't mix, can cause oxidisation and can turn your oil into a lapping paste ( free oversizing i believe it's called)... i have been known to be a touch cautious ( read paranoid) with bikes particularly the bottom end and box...( first box i have assembled and put together, normally never have to go past top end on my fours and two smokers). so long winded question... whos done it and have they had any dramas... it is a simple question but the possibilities are loaded :blink:dry.gif , I mean its an oil filled box surely the oil will provide adequate lube?

copyoulater

neil

I take it you are rebuilding the bottom end of your 175.

What your manual means is >>> the bearings only need a thin smear of grease in order to get them to slide on, after that you wipe away the excess.

There will be no grease left for the oil to mix with so you will be fine.

Same with the gearbox.

Dont drop or damage your crankshaft in any way or its bye bye engine,,,,,,BUT im sure you know this allready or-else you wouldnt be attempting the rebuild.

Its kinda up to you what ya want to do but oil will do the same trick instead of grease,,,,,,but tis prob best to follow the manual !

Hope This Helps :)

I take it you are rebuilding the bottom end of your 175.

What your manual means is >>> the bearings only need a thin smear of grease in order to get them to slide on, after that you wipe away the excess.

There will be no grease left for the oil to mix with so you will be fine.

Same with the gearbox.

Dont drop or damage your crankshaft in any way or its bye bye engine,,,,,,BUT im sure you know this allready or-else you wouldnt be attempting the rebuild.

Its kinda up to you what ya want to do but oil will do the same trick instead of grease,,,,,,but tis prob best to follow the manual !

Hope This Helps :)

damn fingers... 'scuse the double post. yes was thinking along the similar lines of perhaps some light grease, perhaps some assembly spray ... ( got that somewhere)..... the bottom end is still in the magneto side....basically have 4 crankcases, 2 gearboxes and ..unfortunately no clutch ( free play on the gear behind the basket) the cases with the matching numbers to my G model..( sorry should have mentioned!!) has the crank in it,its still in the magneto side, and now with the cases apart im wondering wether to bite the bullet and go get new bearings seals etc for all 4 cases and do them all, then assemble, the bearings look good and after a wash spin freely, little gritty but perhaps a better wash is in order, no radial play that isn't within limits,... still this isnt a rush project... chuckles.. thanks for the heads up :thumb::beerchug:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online