My divvy is poorly please can anyone help?

metalika
This post is 4710 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

"Hi I have a 1999 Yam XJ600n divvy, and sometimes it starts via the electric start, other than that I have to bump start it, so I thought the solenoid had gone and got a new one, when trying to start the bike tonight with the old sol' on it did nothing but made a clicking noise. so I put the new one on and....nothing not even a clicking sound, but, with either on i managed to bump start it.

I have checked the fuses and all are ok, I have sprayed the electric start button with WD40 in the hope that that might help, still nothing. One thing i noticed though, the old solenoid only has one wire, coming from it, although it looks as though there were two at one point, the new one has two, so i connected one wire up and left the other dangling.

Does any of you fine people have any other suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

"Hi I have a 1999 Yam XJ600n divvy, and sometimes it starts via the electric start, other than that I have to bump start it, so I thought the solenoid had gone and got a new one, when trying to start the bike tonight with the old sol' on it did nothing but made a clicking noise. so I put the new one on and....nothing not even a clicking sound, but, with either on i managed to bump start it.

I have checked the fuses and all are ok, I have sprayed the electric start button with WD40 in the hope that that might help, still nothing. One thing i noticed though, the old solenoid only has one wire, coming from it, although it looks as though there were two at one point, the new one has two, so i connected one wire up and left the other dangling.

Does any of you fine people have any other suggestions?

Age and condition of battery would be my first port of call.

And Death Magnetic was a pile of smelly shite, :P

been wracking my brains trying to think about the wires..... just rewired my suzuki but i cant remember Different bike cant really compare....).... one other thing you may want to check, is that if you were getting a click noise off the old one and no noise of the new one,place the old one back in ( you know it works) and place a multi meter on DCV setting and turn bike over. record voltage drop ( if any) and check battery condition... it does sound a bit like (to my knowledge) the battery is a bit cactus and not supplying enough charge to the solenoid.. hence the clicking.... i may be wrong but it cant hurt to check....12 v battery shoudlnt really drop that far on start up, my old one held charge, ... push the button it dropped to 6 v.....replaced... no dramas. had the same issue as you here... old one clicked... new one clicked......but again this was on my suzuki....im thinking the wires go to your kill switch, or ignition to complete the circuit, pretty sure that the 2 nuts on the top are from battery ( +,-) and the two wires go to your ignition.

hope this helps , i d go look at my old girls but its dark and im a big girl.... besides havnt had coffee number 4 yet.... hands up who loves A.M.? chuckles

copyoulater

neil

it did nothing but made a clicking noise.

I had a very similar occurance last December, but it was more of a clunk than a click.

One of the brushes was stuck in the starter motor, released it, WD40'd it, and still works perfect.

Hope this helps

Mike (one of the old grumpy gits)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online