xvs 1100 noisy engine

Blue Di
This post is 4840 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guess I'm what you call a newby? my problem is I bought an 1100 xvs yesterday and when the guy I bought it from started her up she sounded sweet as a daisy , I took her out for a run today and again she started sweet as a daisy but I found that sometimes when changing gears from first to second no probs - from second to third there is a whining noise appears and goes away , the bike does this all the way through to top gear and when you ease back on the throttle the noise appears again, if you pull the clutch in as though going to stop the noise goes away- not completely but just about , after stopping and starting her a couple of times I find the noise isn't allways there? wierd or what? any ideas or suggestions would be most gratefully welcomed, george

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi and welcome to the forum :D

im not completely sure on your bike but gearbox/clutch problems are mainly due to the oil. plus im guessing you dont know when the oil was changed last? so it wouldnt hurt to give it a service.

do an oil change, and put new spark plugs, air filter and oil filter in. then at least you know when it was done. im sure someone will give you a better answer soon ;)

Smooth whining noise, a bit like a spaceship cruising along?

Gets higher as you go faster, then starts back down when you change up a gear?

Are you sure it's not there?

I had the exact same thing with my 650, or so I thought. It's something to do with the bikes being shaft drive, apparently. I don't notice it half the time and/or wind & road noise covers it up, but it's always there.

Smooth whining noise, a bit like a spaceship cruising along?

Gets higher as you go faster, then starts back down when you change up a gear?

Are you sure it's not there?

I had the exact same thing with my 650, or so I thought. It's something to do with the bikes being shaft drive, apparently. I don't notice it half the time and/or wind & road noise covers it up, but it's always there.

thanks for the suggestions guys, had the bike up at the local repair shop and the mech took her for a spin, when he came back he said hes never heard the noise like that before but reckons it could be the final drive or one of the gears has lost its chrome facing, he said to book it in and he would check the final drive first as that is the least expensive option, I've used the garage for about ten years so dont think theyre tryin to rio me off, the noise is like when your driving your car and coming to a stop using the gears to slow you down and dont put your foot on the clutch until your just about stall- the noise that your getting from the gears is similar only a lot louder- but again it does'nt do it all the time?, it's very frustrating, once again thanks george

Car??!!

What is a 'Car'? :D

Can't help ya there...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online