Wearing in my XJ6

dand
This post is 4762 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Just got my XJ6 this weekend and I love it, so far put just over 100 miles on it, but wanted some advice as to how "by the book" i should keep to the 5800rpm until it's done 600 miles?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i'm also running in, i'm keeping below 8000rpm now (almost 600 miles), but kept below 6k upto 400 miles.

main thing is not to labour the engine.

check out my linky too. :D

Dan, the thing with running that engine is that it was originally fitted to the R6 (in a different state of tune). In the R6 it revved to 16,000Rpm. You can bet that many R6 riders then ran them in upto maybe 9 or 10,000rpm whilst running in, probably without any real issues.

The engine will really start to feel looser and free-er revving once about 4000miles are on the odo anyway.

running-in is a pain, but it's just a little thing to get out of the way reasonably carefully. Fortunately the XJ6 is tuned for low down torque (by 600cc standards) making it not completely tiresome.

HTH.