1978 xs750E clutch push rod oil seal

Mike D
This post is 4844 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1978 xs750E, I need to change the Clutch push rod oil seal. I have the part ready to go. I have the Manuel for this bike. I just need to know if I have to remove the left side case cover, to get to this oil seal? It looks easy to do, but I don't want to go into the motor if I don't have to. Any help on this will be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1978 xs750E, I need to change the Clutch push rod oil seal. I have the part ready to go. I have the Manuel for this bike. I just need to know if I have to remove the left side case cover, to get to this oil seal? It looks easy to do, but I don't want to go into the motor if I don't have to. Any help on this will be appreciated.

HI there - have a look here:

regards

Oscar

Hi Mike

getting the cover off is no problem as the manual suggests but make sure you have the modified seal (coloured orange, if it is coloured black it will fail in short order). but when you have the cover off and the push rod removed you can prise out the oil seal with a long screw driver (to get the leverage). Care must be taken putting the new seal in, best practice would be to oil/lube the new seal around the outer and gently drift the seal in (as the seal has a metal back a drift the same size as the seal would make sure you don't bend the metal section of the seal), as you do this you may loose some of the outer ring (the crankcase tends to shave it off) but if you drift in square you'll get no leaks

Hi Mike

getting the cover off is no problem as the manual suggests but make sure you have the modified seal (coloured orange, if it is coloured black it will fail in short order). but when you have the cover off and the push rod removed you can prise out the oil seal with a long screw driver (to get the leverage). Care must be taken putting the new seal in, best practice would be to oil/lube the new seal around the outer and gently drift the seal in (as the seal has a metal back a drift the same size as the seal would make sure you don't bend the metal section of the seal), as you do this you may loose some of the outer ring (the crankcase tends to shave it off) but if you drift in square you'll get no leaks

Thanks Jim, The oil seal I received is from a parts supplier here in the states. It is black in color. The one in the bike is orange in color. It looks like the side cover will have to be removed because the three bolts that hold on the clutch cover, the top bolt you cant remove because the side cover is in the way of the bolt. I have the cover gasket, oil seal, and the "o" ring for the clutch cover. I just needed some advice on this before I tear it apart. Do you think the Black oil seal is a bad part? Now you have me worried, should I try to find a new oil seal? I will get on the phone and call the place I ordered it from and ask about this first. You have been a great help, thanks for your reply.

Thanks Jim, The oil seal I received is from a parts supplier here in the states. It is black in color. The one in the bike is orange in color. It looks like the side cover will have to be removed because the three bolts that hold on the clutch cover, the top bolt you cant remove because the side cover is in the way of the bolt. I have the cover gasket, oil seal, and the "o" ring for the clutch cover. I just needed some advice on this before I tear it apart. Do you think the Black oil seal is a bad part? Now you have me worried, should I try to find a new oil seal? I will get on the phone and call the place I ordered it from and ask about this first. You have been a great help, thanks for your reply.

I just got off the phone with the part supplier, and he said the black oil seal is the new type of seal, not the orange one that is silicone. He said that the black one should be fine, as they have replaced this oil seal a few times in the past. I have to inspect the clutch push rod for damage, but being a shaft drive model, this is not because of where from the chain throwing around a lot of dirt. I hope things go well with this and I will post a reply back to all when I get finished. I love this bike. I have had it since new, never been into the motor, never replaced the clutch, never been wrecked, and ride her everyday. 60,000 miles and counting. I have ridden her from California to Florida and back three times so far, and will do it again soon. Thanks all for your help.

This is a link to the part supplier for new part's here in the states.

http://www.nwvcp.com/pages/oemparts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

Mike

This is a link to the part supplier for new part's here in the states.

http://www.nwvcp.com...d/2/Yamaha.aspx

Mike

Hi Mike

if 93102-08205-00 is the correct part number for the part you have the -00 indicates no modifications

Yamaha parts followed the following definition

Model specific parts :-

id code-part no-modification

eg

Part no for a head gasket is 11181 (whichever model)

model code for a '78 RD50 (uk spec) is 2L8

assuming the head gasket was first designed for that model the original part number would be 2L8-11181-00 any mods would be 2L8-11181-01 (-02, -03) dependant on the modification level

general parts followed :-

type of part-dimension-modification

so 93102 = oil seal

08205 = dimensions

00 = modification

(this explaination of early Yamaha part numbers is simplified I have not added modifiers for coloured parts and/or finish eg 2L8-11181-01-E7 could be a modified pink head gasket (it does not exist !!! tho)

so I would guess the part you require is 93102-08205-01 or greater (-02 -03 etc) but if you fit the -00 version you must ensure the push rod has no ridges on it as it's failure was the inner lip of the seal getting damaged via very small ridges on the push rod and it is fitted square, I can also see that the modified seal supplies ran out years ago and your supplier is supplying you the only part they can

Regards Jim

Hi Mike

if 93102-08205-00 is the correct part number for the part you have the -00 indicates no modifications

Yamaha parts followed the following definition

Model specific parts :-

id code-part no-modification

eg

Part no for a head gasket is 11181 (whichever model)

model code for a '78 RD50 (uk spec) is 2L8

assuming the head gasket was first designed for that model the original part number would be 2L8-11181-00 any mods would be 2L8-11181-01 (-02, -03) dependant on the modification level

general parts followed :-

type of part-dimension-modification

so 93102 = oil seal

08205 = dimensions

00 = modification

(this explaination of early Yamaha part numbers is simplified I have not added modifiers for coloured parts and/or finish eg 2L8-11181-01-E7 could be a modified pink head gasket (it does not exist !!! tho)

so I would guess the part you require is 93102-08205-01 or greater (-02 -03 etc) but if you fit the -00 version you must ensure the push rod has no ridges on it as it's failure was the inner lip of the seal getting damaged via very small ridges on the push rod and it is fitted square, I can also see that the modified seal supplies ran out years ago and your supplier is supplying you the only part they can

Regards Jim

Thank You Sir, you have helped in a great way.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online