1986 Fazer

sr975j
This post is 4401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so i just purchased an 86 fazer last week as my first bike. it needs some work but i really like it so far. as of right now, i know it needs the carbs tuned, a headlight lens, and a front tire, but other than that, its good to go. ive been riding it as is so far. ive ridden it over 400 miles in less than a week already, i guess im addicted.

i have a few questions. i know it is running very rich. the guy i bought it from said the previous owner put stage 2 or 3 jets in which i think leads to why it cuts out at 8.5k rpms and gets horrible gas mileage (about 30mpgs). so i need to get the carbs tuned. also, it has a very erratic idle. sometimes it idles perfectly at about 900 rpms and other times it hangs around 3k.

i want to change the oil also. what is the oil capacity on these bikes? and what weight should i use? any specific brands and where should i get the filter from?

also, anyone know where i can get a new headlight lens or entire headlight assembly?

it also needs a new throttle cable. the adjuster is broken. where can i get one?

sorry for all the questions on my first post but i am new to bikes and very new to fazer's so any advice is greatly appreciated.

2011-06-09150127.jpg

Sam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 10 months later...

There is a sight glass on the right side that shows the oil level. just fill till it's visible in the glass.

anyone know what the part # is for the oil filter might be?

Got one but it's too big lengthwise cap won't fit back on.