Has anybody put an RD 125 LCD front brake master cylinder assembly on a DX?

Mastiff
This post is 4670 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I spoke to Yamaha Scandinavia in my desperation to fix the front brake of my son's DX, and it turns out that the lid/cap of the master cylinder and the master cylinder assembly is not available any more from Yamaha. :( But the guy at the main parts department (which is in Sweden for Norway and Sweden) said that I could use the RD 125 LC master cylinder on the bike if I could get it to fit with brake line and stuff. The difference in brake fluid pressure was not enough to create any problems. And there are tons of LC master cylinders on eBay, so that I can get any time. But has anybody ever done that switch, or does anybody have both bikes so they can tell me if the banjo bolt, brake line and other stuff would fit?

And is it possible to have a custom brake line made anywhere, if that turns out to be the problem?

Oh, and he also said that the price of the LC assembly directly from Yamaha would be around £300 if I wanted that! :blink: So that wouldn't be happening any time soon... ;) Especially with all the NOS parts on eBay.

Edit: This seems to be of academic interest now, I have heard back from a fellow forum member who has a cylinder that I can use. But still it would be interesting to know if this is possible, since a later wipeout could damage the cylinder again!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I spoke to Yamaha Scandinavia in my desperation to fix the front brake of my son's DX, and it turns out that the lid/cap of the master cylinder and the master cylinder assembly is not available any more from Yamaha. :( But the guy at the main parts department (which is in Sweden for Norway and Sweden) said that I could use the RD 125 LC master cylinder on the bike if I could get it to fit with brake line and stuff. The difference in brake fluid pressure was not enough to create any problems. And there are tons of LC master cylinders on eBay, so that I can get any time. But has anybody ever done that switch, or does anybody have both bikes so they can tell me if the banjo bolt, brake line and other stuff would fit?

And is it possible to have a custom brake line made anywhere, if that turns out to be the problem?

Oh, and he also said that the price of the LC assembly directly from Yamaha would be around £300 if I wanted that! :blink: So that wouldn't be happening any time soon... ;) Especially with all the NOS parts on eBay.

Edit: This seems to be of academic interest now, I have heard back from a fellow forum member who has a cylinder that I can use. But still it would be interesting to know if this is possible, since a later wipeout could damage the cylinder again!

In general master cylinders are just that, they have no part in the switchgear except the brake light switch but that can be worked round. You could easily use the master cyl from just about anything. It is a pump at the end of the day, as long as the piston size is suitable for the application and a small 2 stroke means just about anything goes you can fit pretty much what you like.

I'm not talking just yam either, any manufacturers master cyl will work. All the banjo fittings are the same, well till you get to the really modern stuff with electronics for ABS and other such rubbish.