1980(ish) 175cc Eduro Oil light Query

corybaldwin
This post is 4710 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys, i'm new to your little community you have here, and though i know its annoying for new guys to immediatly ask question about fixing their bikes you should know i'm from saskatchewan canada and we can only ride our bikes for a few months a year, so time is a factor.

i have an old 1980ish 175 enduro, the oil light comes on in neautral (i'm told this is a test), but once i get it into gear it will sometimes flicker on and off. the oil reserve is full. sometimes as soon as i let off the throttle it will go off... its weird because it doesn't stay on while im in gear, but rather turns off and on sometimes... i love the old girl and use it for my daily rider so i'd hate to burn out a motor over something stupid.

i'm wondering what could make this light turn on and off? wiring issue? or something to do with the oil system? should i be worried? i'm not driving it until i can get some info regarding the matter, as i opt for a cheap fix rather than a complete engine overhaul... i'm not really big on mechanics but i'm willing to learn.

also, if you could be super specific with your answers it would help me alot, like i said i'm not much of a gearhead.

please please gimme a prompt response, i wanna ride again!

CB

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you are correct that it is a bulb check when in neutral. The fact that it comes on and off with a full tank and in gear suggests a faulty level (note the word level) sensor in the tank. this should put you at ease because unlike many bikes it is nothing to do with oil pressure, so long as you see smoke and the level in the tank falls, you can investigate at your leisure.

yeah its certainly using oil, but how does a guy know if its using enough? or do i have to wait for my engine to seize to find out? lol.

the level sensor would be in the oil tank itself right? not the fuel tank?

btw thanks for the wicked quick response man.

yeah its certainly using oil, but how does a guy know if its using enough? or do i have to wait for my engine to seize to find out? lol.

the level sensor would be in the oil tank itself right? not the fuel tank?

btw thanks for the wicked quick response man.

yes of course the level switch is in the oil tank.

yours is an electrical issue but now you are questioning usage?

check your pump setup...the pip and the peg at the pulley align with closed throttle, the stroke increases if you turn the pulley by hand to its stop.

If you really want to check usage

Brim fill the fuel

mark the oil tank level with a pen mark

add a known amount of oil in litres (say 300ml)

ride the bike and record all fuel added untill this mark is again reached, including one last brim fill of fuel.

calculate the ratio of fuel to oil

There is a bleed screw at the top of the oil pum and it's always a good idea to remove it al let a little oil flow out while watching for any air bubbles...replace if none.