newbie ignorance strikes again!! stripped spark plug thread...

kd2727
This post is 4771 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

sometimes you dont know, that you dont know.....then you fuck up....and now, you know.....lol

96 virago 250

still playing with carb to get a smooth run, getting closer and closer........

here's what my dumbass did today....

wasnt running as smooth as it has......pulled the plug that has been having some issues.....did it while the engine was hot.....didnt use a ratchet extender and the slight angle from the ratchet hitting the engine head was enough of an angle to fuck the threads up while taking the plug out.....

to make it worse.....i was at a friends house 30 miles away with no way home....sooooooooooooooo.....yeah, i did it....put it back in...and of course now, once i take it out again, theres no way it will go back....i realize that by putting it back in with a little muscle i was destroying what threading was still there....but, i had to get home....so i said fuck it....

ok.....when your done either laughing at me, or shaking your head at my fuck up......my question is this....

do i need to pull the entire engine apart to deal with it or can i just re-tap it as is?

i realize that some aluminum bits and pieces will no undoubtedly fall into the cylinder......how much damage will that cause? will they be small and fine enough that they will just burn up? possibly just stick a vacuum hose into the chamber....suck out what i can...run it to burn off the small ones, change the oil...and thats it?

im brand new, so these are the mistakes that are teaching me about engines....please be gentle....my friends have the name calling covered as they have been brutal....

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sometimes you dont know, that you dont know.....then you fuck up....and now, you know.....lol

96 virago 250

still playing with carb to get a smooth run, getting closer and closer........

here's what my dumbass did today....

wasnt running as smooth as it has......pulled the plug that has been having some issues.....did it while the engine was hot.....didnt use a ratchet extender and the slight angle from the ratchet hitting the engine head was enough of an angle to fuck the threads up while taking the plug out.....

to make it worse.....i was at a friends house 30 miles away with no way home....sooooooooooooooo.....yeah, i did it....put it back in...and of course now, once i take it out again, theres no way it will go back....i realize that by putting it back in with a little muscle i was destroying what threading was still there....but, i had to get home....so i said fuck it....

ok.....when your done either laughing at me, or shaking your head at my fuck up......my question is this....

do i need to pull the entire engine apart to deal with it or can i just re-tap it as is?

i realize that some aluminum bits and pieces will no undoubtedly fall into the cylinder......how much damage will that cause? will they be small and fine enough that they will just burn up? possibly just stick a vacuum hose into the chamber....suck out what i can...run it to burn off the small ones, change the oil...and thats it?

im brand new, so these are the mistakes that are teaching me about engines....please be gentle....my friends have the name calling covered as they have been brutal....

thanks

Helicoil: find a local bike mech or auto-engineer. Helicoil means no tear-down.

Helicoil: find a local bike mech or auto-engineer. Helicoil means no tear-down.

If it really is trashed then helicoil is the answer, not so sure about no tear down though as this involves drilling the old thread out and tapping a new one for the insert...either way it's a job for the pro's I would say.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online