6th gear in a XVS 125 Dragstar

Jernej
This post is 4745 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello to everyone!

I was riding today on my Dragstar and I began wondering if it would be possible to add one more gear to my bike. So when I wouldn't be riding uphill I would have a gear in which the bike could rest a bit at 80 - 90 km/h ... so..is it possible? I'm not that good at mechanics so I would get a mechanic to do the work.

Thanks for your answers! :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello to everyone!

I was riding today on my Dragstar and I began wondering if it would be possible to add one more gear to my bike. So when I wouldn't be riding uphill I would have a gear in which the bike could rest a bit at 80 - 90 km/h ... so..is it possible? I'm not that good at mechanics so I would get a mechanic to do the work.

Thanks for your answers! :)

I would say most definitely no.

Explore the options of reducing/increasing the number of teeth on the drive sprockets, there are plenty of threads on this site on the subject. I always comes down to personal preference. I long ago settled on one tooth up on the front sprocket, because that gave me the best balance of performance for my travelling. Others have gone one tooth less for better acceleration.

I would say most definitely no.

Explore the options of reducing/increasing the number of teeth on the drive sprockets, there are plenty of threads on this site on the subject. I always comes down to personal preference. I long ago settled on one tooth up on the front sprocket, because that gave me the best balance of performance for my travelling. Others have gone one tooth less for better acceleration.

oh..i was really hoping that it would be possible because i have a feeling that i'll regret fiddling around with these sprockets :) is it a hard job to change the front one? anyways..thanks for the answer! :)

Hi and welcome,

It would be a bad chioce to add another gear to this bike as it would most likely slow is down and put too much strain on the engine due to its low torque and im pretty sure that it's not possible to add another gear. Changing up a tooth or down a tooth on the spoket is your best option and is very easy to do if you have some basic knowledge of machanics and a good set of tools, just remove the left hand plastic cover remove the chain (may have to take out the rear wheel if you have an endless chain) then you should then be able to take out and change your sprocket.

All the best and hope all gose well.

oh..i was really hoping that it would be possible because i have a feeling that i'll regret fiddling around with these sprockets :) is it a hard job to change the front one? anyways..thanks for the answer! :)

Aye Jernej, sprocket and chain sets can be bought pretty cheaply on the internet, and it is reccomended you replace both front and rear sprockets, plus new chain. With a decent manual beside you,for reference, it would probably take you a couple of hours, ball park, to do, but if you don't have the confidence, which is understandable, then take them to your nearest bike garage/ mechanic, they'll more than likely do the job within an hour. ;)

I think that the standard front spocket has 16 teeth, moving to 17 will lower the engine revs and the bike will cruise comfortably at 60 mph, but it will start to slow when it has to go uphill. Topped out at 70 mph on the flat

I tried going down a tooth too to 15, better accelration, and despite what many others found when they tried this, the bike topped out at 75mph. Engine revs were higher though in normal traffic, so I decided to stick with the 17tooth sprocket on the front, as I was just commuting on it as flat roads.

thanks, i think i will try this one tooth up thing..do you guys know for an online shop for these things? i don't have such a shop around here :/

try wemoto, most online parts suppliers will have them, as they are compatable with other bikes. Remember to get a new tab washer with the sprocket, cost should be about a tenner for both.

While youve got the chain off, clean it with parrafin, let it dry completlelty, then put some chain oil on it.

Dont forget youll have to check and adjust the chain tension, and the rear brake, as the rear wheel position will have moved relative to the front sprocket

Shout up if you need to

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

So... I changed the sprocket and yes, the acceleration is a bit worse than before but i must say, that I'm satisfied with the results :) the bike isn't yelling all the time and I think that even gear changing is smoother!

In the next few days I will get a new chain and a new rear sprocket and I will change those two as well...

But I have this question... I changed the front sprocket slowly, step by step, I photographed the situation before I did every step further and I fitted the new one the same way as I removed the old one(only backwards of course ;) ).. and now the bike is making this strange but not too loud repetative sound..like some part of the bike is rubbing on another..the faster I drive, the higher the frequency of the sound is.. I checked the rear wheel and I think that it is quite aligned.. so my question is, is it possible that i made a mistake? or is this something else, because i really can't identify from where the sound is coming.

When i fitted the new sprocket and the bike was lifted from the floor i started the bike and revved it a bit there (to see if everything runs smoothly) and I heard no sounds there..

Any opinion would be welcome :) oh and also THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP THIS FAR :)

First thing springs to mind is chain tension, ie too tight, esp with the repetitive nature of the noise. The tight spot passing over the new front sprocket esp if the chain has some wear in it.

So... I changed the sprocket and yes, the acceleration is a bit worse than before but i must say, that I'm satisfied with the results :) the bike isn't yelling all the time and I think that even gear changing is smoother!

In the next few days I will get a new chain and a new rear sprocket and I will change those two as well...

But I have this question... I changed the front sprocket slowly, step by step, I photographed the situation before I did every step further and I fitted the new one the same way as I removed the old one(only backwards of course ;) ).. and now the bike is making this strange but not too loud repetative sound..like some part of the bike is rubbing on another..the faster I drive, the higher the frequency of the sound is.. I checked the rear wheel and I think that it is quite aligned.. so my question is, is it possible that i made a mistake? or is this something else, because i really can't identify from where the sound is coming.

When i fitted the new sprocket and the bike was lifted from the floor i started the bike and revved it a bit there (to see if everything runs smoothly) and I heard no sounds there..

Any opinion would be welcome :) oh and also THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP THIS FAR :)

Taking photos etc is the right way to do a job if youre not familiar with it, well done. :)

Do you have the owners manual, it tells you how to set the chain tension, 30mm to 40mm from top to bottom of the movement in the centre of the bottom chain run, bike in neutral, upright, and off the floor. Use the lines on the inner of the rear axle slots to align the rear wheel up, dont forget to adjust the rear brake afterwards as this will alter as you adjust the chain.

Check that the chain is not rubbing on the plastic guard on the top run.

I cant think of anything that would catch at the front sprocket as theres plenty of room there for it to spin.

Double check that you have the little spring connector for the chain on the right way around, the round end needs to be pointing in the direction of travel.

Let us know how you get on, you can always post photos. :)

slack your chain off by half a turn each side B) sounds like u have over tightened ur chain :) (it gets tighter the 1st time u ride it after taking it off) should sort that noise out