Vmax

Leatherat
This post is 4694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Would you call a Vmax a custom type bike (i.e like a Dragstar or a Virago would be termed custom)

If so does anyone have any 1st hand info on them? and if they're not customs...........where on these forums do I ask the question?

Assuming they are classed as a custom and I'm posting in the right place........I'm going to sell my 650 dragstar (anyone interested?) and I'm planning to replace it with a late eighties/ early 90's Vmax. I've never owned or even ridden the Vmax, so any advice would be appreiciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Would you call a Vmax a custom type bike (i.e like a Dragstar or a Virago would be termed custom)

If so does anyone have any 1st hand info on them? and if they're not customs...........where on these forums do I ask the question?

Assuming they are classed as a custom and I'm posting in the right place........I'm going to sell my 650 dragstar (anyone interested?) and I'm planning to replace it with a late eighties/ early 90's Vmax. I've never owned or even ridden the Vmax, so any advice would be appreiciated.

Cruiser, as opposed to custom style. Muscle style cruiser, similar to the new Ducati cruiser.

Yep they are huge, too bad authorities dont allow riding them in Sri Lanka..engine capacity limited to 125cc and 250cc.. :blink:

I have a 2000 Carbon version imported from Canada I think.

Some key information:

Only ever buy the full power version. They produce 145hp at crank and about 110HP at rear wheel.

If looked after they remain in very very good condition with little corrosion.

Best kept in original condition if possible as this maximises value.

1985 bikes are very prone to second gear problem, jumps out under power.

From 2003 on the oil gallery was redesigned slightly to stop/reduce O-ring popping out.

Engine is more powerful than frame can handle plus front and rear shocks lead to bouncy ride.

Heavy bike to push around and can easily fall off side stand if ground not level.

Do not worry about all the stories about the MAX being a brute, you can easily ride it gently and it is quite happy, hit 6000rpm and keep throttle open (full power only) and you will love the instant arm wrenching acceleration (make sure road clear ahead and you are upright) nothing else like it. (From 6000rpm the butterfly valve opens and each cylinder is fed by two carbs rather than one hence the power boost).

Once you have one few owners want to part with it, it's a classic bike and can still give virtually anything a run for the money (straight line only).

Cheap to buy, plenty of parts available many shared with Virago range, easy to work on, sounds great, looks great with original exhaust.

Low geared for acceleration, 150mph top speed, can be prone to steering wobble if head bearings too tight. Engine can go for 150,000 miles if looked after, does not need synthetic oil.

Even harley riders respect a VMAX (I traded my 1200 sportster for mine).

Buy the best example you can afford.

Great bikes.

Now that's what I was looking for, Thanks Andy!

BTW what sort of fuel mileage are you getting? and is it right that the fuel tank is vey small? (with the price of fuel it's a big consideration these days) I am looking for an '87-'90 bike, although I'd like to keep towards the 90's because they came with electronic ignition however I prefer the earlier wheels instead of the almost solid ones of the later bikes, it must be in original condition (I don't like bikes which have been messed with) and have around £2.5K to play with, looking around, although not plentiful I think I can get a reasonable Vmax for that sort of money. What's the problem with the non uk (not full power) machines, are they really that different?

I typically get 45mpg with gentle riding or 35mpg if you vboost a lot.

If you buy a non vboost model you miss the whole point of a MAX, after all you can ride around all day on a full power model below 6-7000rpm and it will be like any other 100bhp bike but you also have the option of a bit of fun when you feel like. Trust me forget the low power model. The low power types have a smaller rear exhaust opening. There are some mods which make the vboost come in sooner at 3000rpm but my view is that this would be too risky - too much power too soon. Yamaha got it just right with the original set up.

I get about 110 miles from a tank before the light comes on, you must switch to reserve quickly or the fuel pump is switched off.

The early 90's models had electronic ignition and 43mm front forks plus better brakes all worth having.

The seat can be a little uncomfortable after about 50/80 miles.

I paid £5000 for mine with 8000 miles in mint condition a bit over the top but I do not regret it and I have obtained a wide variety of virtually new spare parts from eBay over the last year, including two brand new wheels.

You need to have a test ride and get on the motorway to take it up to 6000rpm and see how it feels, my favourite gear is third go from 30mph to 80mph like starship enterprise. Oh yes - never vboost until engine warmed up, also the oil is flung to the rear of the sump on acceleration.

Andy

That's great, thanks.

The fuel economy is not dissimillar to my 650 Dragstar, that'll do about 45mpg if you ride like your mum, and considerably less if you want to break the speed limit (it struggles to top 90mph and takes a while to get there, but to be fair it wasn't designed to be a fast bike really).

The Vboost you talk about, is that where the second carb set up comes in? I had decided to get a Vmax some time ago, but was disueded by a guy at work who said that although they are monsterously quick, it came at a heavy price....namely fuel comsumption, not really a problem back in the 90's but today, with a gallon costing £6.00 it really has become a top of the list consideration. The more I hear about the Vmax the more it sounds awesome........... and I can't wait!!!!

Yamaha.jpg

Here's a nice Vmax i came across while abroad. B)

I thought they were developed as drag bikes, something for straight line speed!

So they fit into their own niche area methinks