fj1200

richiexj
This post is 4665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi my mate and i went for a spin on our bikes today and i noticed a ticking from my engine its a 1992fj1200abs can anyone help . my opinion is it could be one of the following . starter chain . valves . shims . cam chain . hope someone can help we have alot of bike rallies coming up and i dont want to miss them . any help welcomed

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi my mate and i went for a spin on our bikes today and i noticed a ticking from my engine its a 1992fj1200abs can anyone help . my opinion is it could be one of the following . starter chain . valves . shims . cam chain . hope someone can help we have alot of bike rallies coming up and i dont want to miss them . any help welcomed

Where is the ticking coming from ( which side of the engine) and does it disappear when the revs increase?

Where is the ticking coming from ( which side of the engine) and does it disappear when the revs increase?

sorry for late reply . the ticking seems to be coming more from the left hand side if you were sitting on the bike. will have to get another look and listen . it does seem to increase with revs . thanks

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for late reply . the ticking seems to be coming more from the left hand side if you were sitting on the bike. will have to get another look and listen . it does seem to increase with revs . thanks

Check the valve clearances. If these are okay then it's probably end float on the camshaft and will do no damage. The only other thing could be starter chain rattle , which again is harmless.

Good luck.

Check the valve clearances. If these are okay then it's probably end float on the camshaft and will do no damage. The only other thing could be starter chain rattle , which again is harmless.

Good luck.

you cant kill em with a big stick. they will just keep going and going. My primary chain rattles, my clutch rattles when engaged, put new timing chain guides and chain through her, she uses 500 - 700 ml of oil every 1000 k's, has 20% compression loss on each cylinder, fuel gauge has been replaced, front fork seals replaced, new chain and sprockets, and with all these issues... she still does about 247 k/hr. dont ask. they are a great bike. as you can tell i love 'em :D

• 2 weeks later...

you cant kill em with a big stick. they will just keep going and going. My primary chain rattles, my clutch rattles when engaged, put new timing chain guides and chain through her, she uses 500 - 700 ml of oil every 1000 k's, has 20% compression loss on each cylinder, fuel gauge has been replaced, front fork seals replaced, new chain and sprockets, and with all these issues... she still does about 247 k/hr. dont ask. they are a great bike. as you can tell i love 'em :D

hi guys thanks for all your help . i have finally found out what the problem is its my exhaust downpipe second in from left as you sit on bike . i bought this bike for £500 with 60k on clock have drove it for a year now and have loved every minute would sell my bandit and buy a black and gold one in good order . i have changed bike to a rat survival matt black with cast iron tractor seat . the bike was found by accident at farm yard were it had being for years iam so glad i found it and brought it back to life .i know the bike is bullet proof which helps being from northern ireland haha thanks again for all your help richie

hi guys thanks for all your help . i have finally found out what the problem is its my exhaust downpipe second in from left as you sit on bike . i bought this bike for £500 with 60k on clock have drove it for a year now and have loved every minute would sell my bandit and buy a black and gold one in good order . i have changed bike to a rat survival matt black with cast iron tractor seat . the bike was found by accident at farm yard were it had being for years iam so glad i found it and brought it back to life .i know the bike is bullet proof which helps being from northern ireland haha thanks again for all your help richie

dribbles.... mmmm black and gold... yes very sexy.... what was wrong with your headers? o and ps. the fuel gauge has a tendency to filp itself round to the other side of "E" (easy fixed) check your clutch slave cylinder for weeping... can replace the whole unit as one or get them re sleeved.... 95% of the parts can be exchanged for the fj1100 bits if you get stuck and listen for plastic vibrating as they break easy, and dont DESTROY your belly pan if you have one!!! rare as rocking horse poo and pricey.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online