XS400 oil filter stuck!

ubersnoofer
This post is 4854 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, I've got an 82 seca400 and it's been sitting all winter with a fresh change of oil in it. So this spring i decided i would change it again, but when i got to the oil filter I got stuck. This is one of those models where the oil filter is up inside the engine and you just remove a cover to drop it out and replace it. When you insert it the oil filter sits down inside an aluminum housing, and then that housing, cupping the oil filter is slid into the block and the cover goes below that and holds it all in. Well the cover comes off fine, but the old oil filter, the spring, and the aluminum housing are all still stuck up inside. The bore on this cylinder it's in looks really smooth so I'm worried about scoring it if I try to force the filter and housing out. I'm also worried that if i just fill it up with oil and run it for a bit that instead of loosening it up the heat will make my situation worse.

Any advice?? I'm at a loss for a moment and every other post i see is about a stuck 'exterior' oil filter so everyone just says 'punch a screwdriver in it and twist it off'. Not much help to me since all i can see of the filter is it's bottom and the hole where the mounting bolt slides through.

Thanks for looking,

Scott

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

can you not get a hook inside the hole and pull it out? it will wreck the filter so its a bit of a do or die senario. but you'll have to do it sometime.

If you can take a picture it will help for more suggestions.

can you not get a hook inside the hole and pull it out? it will wreck the filter so its a bit of a do or die senario. but you'll have to do it sometime.

If you can take a picture it will help for more suggestions.

thanks. yep,

i finally just grew a pair and pried it out. scraped the shit out of one side of the bore but it still feels relatively smooth to the touch. I've since gone back and found a manual for this model from yamaha themselves and it seems that this part is a mystery part. No clue where it comes from cuz it's not in any of the pics, they show it all there without that housing so I've chucked it and gone without and all seems to be running smoothly with the new filter. Thanx.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online